Rain all night but pond empty in the morning...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It was such a shock to woke up in the morning and found my pond almost empty :cry:

Good thing I raised my pump a bit (THANKS GOODNESS!!!) so the pond had about 6 inches of water left. The fish are fine but they seem scared and hide under the rocks.

The heavy rain last night made my container bogs overflowed and the liners that I put behind the containers failed so the water ran out of the pond all night from there.

Didn't have time to get the picture this morning at 6AM.

I had only half an hour to add more water so now there's about 12 inches of water and my fish seems very happy. I fixed the liner and ran the pumps again. Will have to put more water this afternoon after work and tomorrow it'll rain again. I'll have to figure the safer way to secure the liner before then.

ugh.. I'll just made this a big Spring water change. Get a chance to clean the bottom some more and get the mulberries out. Will do some cleaning after work.
Anya

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow hope you did not burn out your pump .I have the low water switch on my pumps .Worth the money to invest in them .Water hits a certain point and it switches your pump off .I learned my lesson almost the hard way ,in the winter of 2010 .Scared me enough to invest in one for each pump .Glad you caught it in time .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Sissy. The water was a little lower than the top of the pumps, so the pumps are fine.

Can you tell me what kind did you use for the low water switch? I only need one for my pump as the other pump only pump water to the container bogs that sit in the pond, no water would go anywhere from that pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got mine at tractor supply but they do not sell them any more but my neighbor got hers on E bay they are all basically the same .Your pump plugs into the back of the wire to the switch and the float goes in the pond at what ever level you want to turn the pump off at .They are not cheap though .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow just checked and a lot more than i paid 50 to 60 dollars .I paid 27.99 and i thought that was a lot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You could connect the two liners up with sealant Nephen that way you wouldnt get this problem again

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all.

Sissy, $50-60 is not that bad if it'll help me not having to get a new pump or need to re-fill the pond every time it rains... Do you know the name of it? or what does it call so I can search on Ebay.

Dave, the liner that fail is the one I put under the container bog so when the bog overflow, the water goes back into the pond. The liner got too much weight of water push to the back so the edge where I just tucked to the back of the container fell out. I'm thinking I'll glue the liner to the container itself so it wont do that again. :) thanks for the suggestion.

j.w. I'm glad my fish are ok too!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would ask as it says skimmer and under 10 amps .I don't have a skimmer and cannot tell by the pic .You may have to check your pumps amps .dr foster and smith have them also 49.99

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My neighbor said she got hers at a plumbing supply store the other day .Tammy told me she paid 35 dollars .I have not seen it yet .So not sure what it is 123 ponds has them also you can google them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Great advise here to keep your pump off the bottom. I have mine sitting on a milk crate. You never know...
Nepen glad your pond didn't totally empty.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sissy, Tractor supply sells one still. Only problem is it only has a 8 foot cord and they run 29.99. The better ones online have a 20-25' cord but yes most of them run between $50 and $60. Just got mine in today for the filter room, bought one with a 8' cord from tractor supply last week and have it hooked to the pump in the skimmer since the plug in is right beside the skimmer.

Ask a Question