Rain barrel now history

SE18

David V
Reaction score
about a year and half ago I bought a Fiskars rain barrel from Lowes. Over the winter it developed a 5 inch crack in the bottom even though I followed instructions and disconnected it from the drain spout over the winter.

The drain spout, BTW, connects to the top of the canal system, flowing down and outward through the canal in a maze of canal and aqueduct.

I'm thinking in the future of making my own rain barrel. It isn't really necessary to have one, except in the summer when there is excessive evaporation, I need to hose in water. If I ever decide to get fish, however, the rain barrel would provide distilled or natural water during periods of drought.

Just curious if anyone else ever experienced problems with their rain barrel or perhaps everyone is just loving theirs.

Here it is during happier times (hoses from the spigot (hard to see in the photo) lead to the canal:

ry%3D480

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you'd best be careful of using rain water off your roof in a pond with fish. you never know what harmfull contaminants, chemicals, petroleum products, etc.. (especially with asphalt shingles, tar roofs and the like) may be leached into the water.

Reaction score
well, if it messed up then you can just think of alternative ways of having better rain barrels. Though, those barrels are really not that necessary, they still serve as big helps especially during summer. =)

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my rain barrel. Its what shipping companies use to move large quantities of liquids. It holds 175 gallons and I picked it up on Craigslist for $60. They are ugly; I am working on growing jasmine to cover it up, but you can't beat the price or volume. I've let mine freeze with no ill effects.

I haven't used it to fill the pond for the previous stated reasons, but the plants are happy with it.

Oh yea, if you go to purchase one, make sure it wasn't for hauling some funky chemical...olive oil was shipped in the one I purchased.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5946&stc=1&d=1307367080

Attachments

• Rain Barrel 2.JPG
    Rain Barrel 2.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 349
Reaction score
Bruddaman,
I work with those totes that have vinegar and olive oil in them. They hold 1,000 liters or roughly 265 gallons.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they sell something like that at tractor supply .I bought a damaged one for 50 dollars .I asked the manager about them and the cost was to high and he said he had damaged ones he could sell for cheap .One I have underground and I just drop a sump pump in it to get the water out .I always add fertilizer to the tank in liquid form from tractor supply .The other tank I use for my pond as a tank for any thing that might go wrong with my pond .It really came in handy when I had to replace the liner after the dog up the street ripped it and it worked great to pick up fish from abandoned ponds here .

Reaction score
I agree they are a little steep. I picked up 2 in Atlanta for $65 each (I had to do some haggling).

Volume vs. cost of what is for sale in the rain collection market, they are about the best deal going. Maybe if you keep an eye on CL, the sweet deal will come along.

Good luck!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Will do, I emailed the listeing you sent and ask if they would take a little less if I bought them both. Waiting on a response. I also talked to the company I used to work for and they are on the lookout for me as well.

Ask a Question