Rain, rain, rain, floods.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Wow.. after torrential rains on and off for two weeks (we are the area that received 9" in one day), flooding of local creeks and rivers, trees falling over, basement full of water, lower back yard turned into a lake, (not near pond, thank goodness) and mud slides on the highway, the pond must have experienced a nearly 50% water change over the last two weeks! I haven't been able to get out and tweak or mess with the algae, or cut back plants, or dump the skimmer nearly as much as I wanted to. I've never seen the water clearer, and the test kit tells me that everything is still balanced. The plants have really suffered, though. There are almost no new lily pads coming to surface (not enough sun?), and everything else looks really battered, with fronds and leaves laying in the water. I'll trim and remove broken stuff when it stops raining tomorrow morning. There are still at least eight weeks left until I shut the pond down, so I think things will comes back a bit.

The good news is that when I went out between rain drops this week, I discovered a new little shubunkin swimming hard to keep up with the big boys, and a small green frog nestled in a hole in the rocks. I love my pond.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Do you remember the floods of 1971? I lived in Reading back then when the Schuylkill river breached and flooded most of the towns there. My grandmother lived in Birdsboro then but was up on Lincoln Ave. But everything below her was under @4 ' of water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our wonderful slope saves us, back yard, bottom of slope is a marsh, but our house is dry. The pond has been flushed lol, good water change over.

Ask a Question