Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The rain has let up and I just finished the unpleasant task of dragging the ponds and the spillway for survivors and victims and out of all 23 koi/goldfish in all ponds only 2 are alive and 11 bodies remained. The others either got lucky if the made it to the reservoir but I doubt that because the stream reduces to a trickle before getting there so they are likely washed up on the banks beyond easy access. I am not going to take pictures of dead fish but as soon as I get the 2 survivors into my sanctuary tanks (serving as temp housing) and get my koi that died moved and buried I will take some pictures of the pond destruction itself. At this point it is hard to say if I will bring pond 2 and 4 back online because of the work and money involved obviously but more so the loss of my oldest and favorite 3 koi Agents 007,008 & 009 the "white silver" ones really sucks so not sure about much of anything right now. Thank you to everyone who showed support though because koi as with my turtles are not the most understood pet/owner group especially where I live which is just north of the middle of nowhere.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I think a redesign of your pond is needed Marshall sorry to hear of the losses

Dave
Easier said than done my friend. I am 18k into the rescue right now so not a lot of capital to push around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Easier said than done my friend. I am 18k into the rescue right now so not a lot of capital to push around.
Ouch 18k thats alot of money Marshall , I was thinking however of some sort of fixed wall where you can identify where your main flow is washing the fish away, then by using cemented walls not the ones you have at the moment my friend Then you can build it at an angle so that the exess water flow is pushed to either side of the pond draining away safely mate :)

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ouch 18k thats alot of money Marshall , I was thinking however of some sort of fixed wall where you can identify where your main flow is washing the fish away, then by using cemented walls not the ones you have at the moment my friend Then you can build it at an angle so that the exess water flow is pushed to either side of the pond draining away safely mate :)

Dave

I'm with Dave on this one. I don't mean to be a harsh bugger (maybe I do a little) but this was no accident, in reality it was simply a design flaw waiting to happen. It was just a matter of time until you received enough rain for the dam to burst. I feel bad for your fish, but ultimately you are responsible for their care, and any weakness's in your pond design are your responcibility. That being said, stuff happens, and you can use this as one of those hard learning experience, the important thing now is that you make the necessary changes to ensure it never happens again.

Sorry to kick you when you are down buddy, but it has to be said, especially if when you consider you are suppose to be running a "sanctuary".

If you hate me now I'll understand :(

Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I'm with Dave on this one. I don't mean to be a harsh bugger (maybe I do a little) but this was no accident, in reality it was simply a design flaw waiting to happen. It was just a matter of time until you received enough rain for the dam to burst. I feel bad for your fish, but ultimately you are responsible for their care, and any weakness's in your pond design are your responcibility. That being said, stuff happens, and you can use this as one of those hard learning experience, the important thing now is that you make the necessary changes to ensure it never happens again.

Sorry to kick you when you are down buddy, but it has to be said, especially if when you consider you are suppose to be running a "sanctuary".

If you hate me now I'll understand :(
You have to do alot more than that for me to hate you ;) but to correct you and others... The dam was not mine in the first place and if it had not burst the 2 feet of water gushing in would not have happened. I refuse to believe that you can build a normal pond that can handle literally a ponds worth of water slamming into it for 2 hours straight. :D
PS: Also, I can't hate you cause you obviously don't know half the story as you think the dam was mine so I will put it that way and hope you don't hate me :O Implying this has anything to do with my turtle sanctuary which survived 100% and even cleared the water from it in under 8 minutes... Now that may piss me off a little... Also I have saved over 500 turtles in my career so yeah don't go there with the sanctuary which has 0 to do with fish ponds.
Please note my friend @Dave 54 gave the same advice without insulting me with blame... Try that in the future.

Last edited:

Ask a Question