Rain Water / Refreshing Pond Water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I have been getting my new pond ready for the past few months. I finally have the liner in, filled up, bog filter going, waterfall going, etc.

I have half of my house downspouts running into 4" corrugated pipe that normally feeds into a dry creek bed which eventually makes it to some pond down in the subdivision. To fill my pond about 4 weeks ago, I had a large tote setup to catch that rain water at the end (before dry creek bed) and sump pump to pump back up into the pond. I also used my well to fill up some more of it. So it was a combination to get all of it filled. Between rain events, the pond was clearing up nicely from the clay dirt that was washed in (runoff). I had a chance to finish building up a berm around the liner (and bury the liner).

So the last rain even we had (about 4 weeks ago), was about 1.2" of rain in about an hour. That just about topped off the pond. I also had some run off with clay on the far side because I wasn't 100% finished with burying the liner and building up the berm. But it has happened before and this time, was a lot less. The water was cloudy for a day or two and then started clearing up. What happened next was algae. I couldn't even see the 18" deep ledge that runs around half the pond. The deeper +4' deep part was out of the question.

It took a while to get it all cleared up but we also have had no rain. I was doing some reading and some people say not to use rain water to fill the pond because it will cause these algae blooms. This doesn't seem right to me. Just wanted to get some different views of it. Was it the rain water that did this or perhaps the runoff? The other rain events didn't do this algae. So I am not sure.

I ask because I was planning on redirecting the 4" corrugated pipe to always feed into the pond. The pond already has an overflow built in (finished last week). So the idea is, anytime it rains, that fresh/clean rain water would go into the pond and fill the pond back up to the top level before starting to seep out the overflow. Once full, it'll slowly just refresh some of the water when it rains. I thought this was a great idea and use of the rain water I'm already collecting. I plan on using this pond to irrigate my yard under certain circumstances too.

If the rain water will cause these algae blooms, then maybe this isn't the right thing to do. If there is any chance of it, would it be best if I feed the rain water up through the bog filter so anything bad in the rain water that would cause the blooms could be snagged by the plants/good bacteria?

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions?

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond Design Drawing
Pond Layout Overview 3D.png

Old Photo for Visual (3 Weeks Old)
old_pond_picture.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice job , but you left out the shelf just below the water line for the edging to sit on and hide the liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Going to use plants on the side that hang down at least that is the plan. Rocks are way too much. The pond will mainly be used for irrigation with some fish in it.

I'll be using creeping type plants (Jenny being one of them).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My 6" bucket is coming for the backhoe this week. So this weekend I'll be getting all the trenching done for vaults, electric lines, hoses and air lines from the shed. I think I'll add a line to feed the pond directly from the rain water and to the bog filter. I'll throw in two valves to control the flow. I really think having it come in through the bog filter and be 'pre filtered' could help. I'm not even sure if that is what caused the algae but I guess if I'm doing the work, may have the option to divert it directly into pond or bog filter in case one doesn't create algae vs the other unless anyone has suggestions. Thanks all!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! I fill my ponds up with rain water, stirs things up a bit but no algae issues. Also helps temper my very hard water. Once your pond matures and everything is in proper balance, your should be good regarding the algae blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don’t think rainwater causes algae blooms, but see what others think. My understanding is that algae is a normal part of pond cycling, and adding filtration and plants to out compete the algae for nutrients will clear it up. I use rainwater to top off my pond, about 30 gal./wk. in my 300 gal. pond. and haven’t had an algae bloom in over a year. Watch the pH, but it hasn’t caused a problem for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don’t think rainwater causes algae blooms, but see what others think. My understanding is that algae is a normal part of pond cycling, and adding filtration and plants to out compete the algae for nutrients will clear it up. I use rainwater to top off my pond, about 30 gal./wk. in my 300 gal. pond. and haven’t had an algae bloom in over a year. Watch the pH, but it hasn’t caused a problem for me.
Sounds good! That's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure. Mine is currently going through the original cycle do your prob right, that's what caused the bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We call it new pond syndrome.
You will have an algae bloom with a new pond. That is normal. Add lots of plants both in the pond and in your bog. Have patience, it will clear up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always used rain water, the rainwater I use has been stored in 1000litre IBC tank that takes water from house gutter and roofs which if I did any reading is probably not good but I am happier doing this than using tap water as it is expensive ( relatively) and I would need to use chemicals due to the chloramphenicol my water company puts in it. I use barley straw bales which I believe inhibits huge growths of algae and I do use filter and UV but maybe this isn’t the avenue you are going down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have always used rain water, the rainwater I use has been stored in 1000litre IBC tank that takes water from house gutter and roofs which if I did any reading is probably not good but I am happier doing this than using tap water as it is expensive ( relatively) and I would need to use chemicals due to the chloramphenicol my water company puts in it. I use barley straw bales which I believe inhibits huge growths of algae and I do use filter and UV but maybe this isn’t the avenue you are going down
I have about 3" estimated for today and tomorrow total. Pond is already full but a lot of that fresh rain will come back into the pond. I will get to see how my overflow does at the low point of the pond. I just trenched it for now but will be getting a large catch basin with 4" corrugated pipe to feed back into the dry creed bed. I probably do need to get a spillway put in just in case, with some gravel so it doesn't watch away. Probably do that on the back side, a few feed wide. Perhaps next to the waterfall feature.

But I'll stick with getting fresh rain in when I can to A) keep it topped off and B) natural 'water change'.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rain water is fine. I believe the runoff to be responsible for your algae bloom. Gives it plenty of nutrients in which to thrive.
Go ahead and kill most of it pre-pond (I.e. in the filtration reservoir or piping) before it takes a stronghold. UV is your friend. No chemicals and WILL kill algae.

Ask a Question