Raised Pond Design Underway

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I've been busy designing a new pond as part of a complete landscape job on my back garden.
The idea is that it forms one edge of a patio area that gets the evening sun. I'm going to stock it with a few goldies, a couple of water lillies, and lots of marginal plants.

Overall dimensions are 4m long, 1.8m wide, and .6m deep in the main, but I will dig down in the middle so the full depth is about 1m in the centre.

The volume will be about 4,000 litres.

Construction

Construction is by concrete blocks 18" x 9" x 4" laid flat for the majority. On the two long sides and the far end, a course will be laid on edge to create a shelf on which I can place marginal plants. The sides will be topped with 4 x 4 timber. I have EDPM liner, which will go under the timber, so the water level will be a couple of inches below the timber rails.

On the shelf at the far end I'm going to build a waterfall, which will act as the return from the filter.

I already have a Oase 5500 pump (which I suspect might be too powerful?) so I intend to put a biological filter alongside the waterfall, so that the outlet feeds the waterfall. I haven't decided on the filter yet - any recommendations? I have spotted this which seems to have good reviews

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blagdon-Minipond-Filter-4500-UVC/dp/B002X6F8DI

Any advice would be welcomed.
Chris

Garden 071.jpg

The dimensions are slightly wrong in this perspective. Accurate dimensions are below.

Pond_5.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice we love your design and graphics, welcome from sunny Plymouth :)

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice. I am a visual person, and I need to SEE something in order to SEE it (IOW, I can't "see it in my head"). That graphics rendering is awesome!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies.

The build starts on Monday 9th. I have a friend who's a self-employed builder who's going to help with the block work, Actually, he'll do the work and I'll act as labour.

How deep do I need to build it? Average winter temperatures in this part of the UK are about 6 deg C (42 deg F) during the day and 2 deg C (35 F) at night.

Chris

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like a nice design. You have pretty mild temps and prolly don't get much freezing so I think it would be your choice on how deep you would like to go.

Ask a Question