Raised pond project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to build a new raised pond next to the patio constructed with railway sleepers on a concrete pad (already there) with a box welded liner and would appreciate some advice.
The pond will be approximately 4m x 4m and the railway sleepers are 2.4m long so will require joining but I am concerned that the water pressure may try to push the joints outwards. I intend laying the 225mm x 115mm sleepers on the 'thin' edge.
Should the first row of sleepers be anchored in some way to the concrete base to make a rigid frame and if so any suggestions on how.
What is the best way to join the sleepers together (lengthways), I thought about galvanised metal strips but these would then touch the liner.
I would prefer not to show any fixings on the outside if at all possible.
Can anyone recommend a company to make the box welded liner.

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A box weld liner is not the only way to go you could hire any commercial roofer to line the pond with epdm yes there will be seams but they can be bullet proof by doing each seam twice once between the liners and once over the seams. The other question is how to protect the liner from wood splinters. woven under layment can be glue to the wood then the rubber can be glued to the under layment to avoid wrinkles etc.
Your other question about how to deal with the pressures is pretty easy as well. with each of the layers if you drill a hole in the same location just a little smaller then say a piece of rebar for concrete foundations. Drill all they way through and drive the rebar through the layers and if you'd like drive it down into the patio or earth. They also sell landscape nails and screws where you can do a smaller weaker pin but they will all work.
An other option that we have seen here recently as a matter of fact is it would seem there are many pre built ponds just like your talking about over there across the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply.
I like the rebar idea as it will certainly hold all of the wood sections together. The only problem I can see is how to drill through the 225mm thickness in a straight line as the pond will be several sleepers high and the rebar will have to go through all of them.
Regarding protecting the liner I will be using an underlay.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could do sections, drill through the first two anchor with rebar, drill though the next one in a slightly different spot anchor it to the one right below it and keep working up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
with a drill extension and some soap be it a bar of soap or liquid sap preferably a bar when you go to drive the rebar through the tight opening on a little smaller then the rebar the soap helps the rebar to slide through the opening. +

Ask a Question