Raised Pond Water pressure, wall reinforcement, foundations and thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your second smaller pond is the perfect candidate for a bog filter. Have you considered that? Have you read about the success that many members here have had with bogs?

My pond is over 10 years old and I've struggled with trying to obtain clear water. I've tried homemade filters, pressure filters, UV lights and never had clear water.

This Spring I build a bog and within a week my water went from completely dense green to clear. In the following weeks the water became literally crystal clear. Not only am I able to see very bottom (3 feet down), but I've spotted tiny black fry that were no more than 1/4" long. I would have never been able to see that well in the past.

The beauty of the bog is zero maintenance. No rinsing of filter pads, no backwashing. The only thing that has to be done is the possible thinning of aggressive plants that may take over the bog.

I sold my two pressure filters and UV light.

I'm so pleased at the results of the exclusive filtration from my bog. It has been, without a doubt, the utmost best improvement I have ever done to my pond.

If you need more information on bog building, we can help. Just ask...

Hi Andy,

I am definately open to ideas on the bog idea. Do you have any photos and a rough bit of guidence on what is involved?

James :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi Andy,

I am definately open to ideas on the bog idea. Do you have any photos and a rough bit of guidence on what is involved?

James :)
Here's my recent thread...

And addy's extensive showcase...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's my recent thread...

And addy's extensive showcase...

My customer and i decided against the bog idea in the end but thankyou for you suggestion.
Im about to create a post regarding lighting.... If you have any thoughts on that let me know!

James

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just an update on progress for anyone who is interested:
Photos and Youtube Video Uploaded for this Thread (Hopefully the video is viewable, Im not a pro when it comes to forums)

I will be looking at lighting options soon if anyone has any ideas?
I was thinking of somekind of colour changable rope lighting along side the normal underwater spots. since tech has moved on i was hoping to get something LED with remote.
Nothing solar, all will be hard wired!

Id like to see what ideas i can get from this thread before starting a whole new post!

Cheers

James
20200723_105046.jpg
20200723_105103.jpg
20200723_105113.jpg
20200724_142130.jpg
20200728_141730.jpg
20200728_162208.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That is a really awesome looking project! You are very talented.

I'm still a big advocate of bog filtration. Almost zero maintenance with absolutely clear water. The bog itself needs no servicing, you just need to keep the plants from taking over.

I hope your filtration is adequate and maintaining it doesn't become a burden.

A pond is no fun if you have to constantly service filters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is a really awesome looking project! You are very talented.

I'm still a big advocate of bog filtration. Almost zero maintenance with absolutely clear water. The bog itself needs no servicing, you just need to keep the plants from taking over.

I hope your filtration is adequate and maintaining it doesn't become a burden.

A pond is no fun if you have to constantly service filters.

Muchos thanks for the compliment!

If i was building the pond for myself itd be slighty different and may include a third pond/bog filter..
So far i believe the filter system will do the job but only time will tell.

the idea is for low maintenance so will see how it goes and if extra fiteration is needed then ill look into it later on.

its difficult to calculate filtration without trial and error. The pond isnt necessarily made for fish but will have a few residents soon.

Because of the building procedure the pond is currently in and dated with bits of cement, dust and other types of contaminants. im away in greece next week so im leaving the filters running and when i return i am doing a full clean.... Completely empty pond, clean liner and removal of any debris along side proper pump placement with some kind of foundations ect.

after the above in complete ill have a better idea of whats going on over the coming months!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
how much lower maintenance can you get below the zero mx of a bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
its difficult to calculate filtration without trial and error. The pond isnt necessarily made for fish but will have a few residents soon.
I know I seem to be beating this subject to death and I know you've already made up your mind, but for future thought...

Filtration with a bog is not difficult to calculate at all.
Size the bog surface area at 30% of the pond's surface area, go larger if you feel the need, but that's the recommended calculation. Cover your manifold pipes with at least 12" of pea gravel. Enjoy clear water without constant rinsing of filters. No UV bulbs to replace every year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Progress update:

Pond is really starting to come alive now, I'll attach a few pics below.

Have the pond a full drain down and refill (it's still filling as we speak) to get rid of all the cement and debris that entered the pond whilst building ect.

The top pond has a new feature, a old water pump that I found burrows in the garden, I have restored, welded and manufactured new seals so the pump is a fully working feature.

New filter housing with timber removable lid for access and to house pump, filter and lighting control panel (lights have yet to be installed)

It's getting close to being finished now..
20200812_163712.jpg
20200810_172916.jpg
20200810_172905.jpg
20200810_173923.jpg
20200812_160745.jpg
20200810_172858.jpg
20200812_163727.jpg

Attachments

• 20200810_172942.jpg
    20200810_172942.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That looks awesome!
Great job you are doing!
Are you going to have water constantly pouring out of that antique water pump or since you restored it, just operate it by the handle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That looks awesome!
Great job you are doing!
Are you going to have water constantly pouring out of that antique water pump or since you restored it, just operate it by the handle?
Thankyou.
The original plan was to have water constantly flowing from the pump but after some welding and restoration I thought it'd be better as a stand alone pump to fill buckets or watering cans to water the garden. Also the sound from constants running water from the pump is a little too loud and overrides the sound from the water fall to main pond.
Alot of effort went into the ambient sound of the main water fall, to drown it out would be to much, annoying even!

Personally I think having a working oldskool pump is pretty awesome
Short video below:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Great! Very nostalgic!
I watch a lot of westerns and those things are always being used.
I mainly restored it for my own satisfaction as ive never actually seen one working or used one myself. It was well worth the effort.
I wonder if there is a market for them in working order??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to install these RGB LED lights.

after much research i have once again discovered that all lighting sold as 'pond-lights' are a pretty pants and a huge rip off.

I'm posting this incast anyone is interested in purchasing some?
they have infared remote controlls and can change to almost any colour or bightness you require with different effects too

If youd like more info then let me know!
pond light.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
blackrandomapple, very nice. I like the lights, but I'm more interested in the restoration of the old water pump. Actually not the restoration, but, I would like to make a running water feature out of one. We have an old rusty one that we bought a few years back at an antiques type store. It has been sitting ever since in an old pot in the back. Do you have a link to where I can find something that would show how to make water run out of it with a little aquarium pump or similar, so i can get some ideas?
Thx

0824201729.jpg
The picture shows the top portion sticking out of the pot. Sorry for the bad pic. It seems like the middle is all blocked up and I would have s hard time getting a hose thru it.

Ask a Question