raised pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to make a raised pond with rail way sleepers,I want it L shaped with seating built in.How can i tile the inside,do i have to line it and with what.cheers for your help,i'm a complete novice at this so all advice welcome

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Railway sleepers may be ideal or may contain a preservative that leeches. You can easy check that with your railway tie source. Yes, you will need a liner. Perforably a 43mil thick EDPM liner. Building a raise pond as you described is certainly doable. Careful, detailed planning, preparation and proper construction will be the keys to your success. Welcome the the forum Chris. We are here to help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome, Chris! Using a traditional, flat liner, L-shaped ponds are woefully hard to do without seaming or buying twice as much liner as is needed. Unless one of the legs of the L will be raised up above water level (ie, a separate pond area) and joining with a waterfall. There are some places where you can get pre-shaped, L-shaped liners that you can drop in, but they are expensive and your measurements have to be exact.

I believe @C-Note has an L shaped pond -- she has a showcase with some details here: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/carries-new-pond.37/ Carrie, I hope it's ok that I mentioned you here =D Your L-shaped pond is fresh in my brain because, well, I love it so!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
i want to make a raised pond with rail way sleepers,I want it L shaped with seating built in.How can i tile the inside,do i have to line it and with what.cheers for your help,i'm a complete novice at this so all advice welcome
Hi Chris what ever you do dont buy former BR sleepers they are treated with all sorts of nasty stuff that leaches out.
Your best bet would be to buy sleepers imported to the UK from abroad .
Keep your design simple as an L shape would cost you alot extra and I think you'd have trouble with the liner itself .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There was another ponder on here that did a L shaped raised pond and it was even on the news .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Oh man... yes totally okay to tag me here @michey1st . The L-shape was a terror to install. Definitely had to buy twice the liner and painstakingly seam it. Looks cool, but I would advise against it for so many practical reasons. But if your heart is set on it... best of luck! We did a lot of cutting, folding, seaming, double seaming the other side for insurance... sealing the seam again from the exterior for EXTRA insurance. I mean... if the seam leaks, you're back to SQUARE ONE. But my showcase outlines the entire process. Ask if you have specific detail questions. :) Happy digging!

Ask a Question