Raised pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m a complete newbie to ponds so looking for a bit of advice before I actually spend any money
I promised my daughter (18 with special needs) that I’d make her a fish pond a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I’ve been hit by disability and the process of digging and building a pond seems impossible, so I’ve been looking at raised ponds.
I like the blagdon affinity ponds as I think my daughter will enjoy the windows, but are they any good?
Im worried about winter ( I’m in Staffordshire, uk) will fish survive or are the raised ponds to exposed? We are only wanting a few goldfish or shubunkins, nothing fancy and I’d like some plants but I don’t want to buy something unsuitable for fish.
I’m considering the blagdon affinity octagon, it’s 400 litres.
Any advice is gratefully received!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I looked up the Blagdon Affinity. Wonder what kind of filtration systems are part of that kit. Looks like a cool setup! Sounds like it rarely snows or gets below freezing in that part of the world. My guess would be that fish should be ok in such a setup but definitely wait for other, more experienced, ponders to weigh in before you make a decision. Your local pond/fish store may be a good resource also.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Blagdon Affinity is a flexible clear liner supported on a very interesting frame. I love the side windows. My fear would be that a leak could be sudden and catastrophic in that situation. Metal or heavy plastic water troughs would be more secure... but no groovy side windows.

I wonder if the manufacturer recommends that the windows face North (in the Northern hemispehere). I know direct sunlight coming into the water column from the side can really increase the algae load. I suppose they could also be covered when nobody is viewing the fish.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1631564997983.gif
@Jenny84

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! I looked up the Blagdon Affinity. Wonder what kind of filtration systems are part of that kit. Looks like a cool setup! Sounds like it rarely snows or gets below freezing in that part of the world. My guess would be that fish should be ok in such a setup but definitely wait for other, more experienced, ponders to weigh in before you make a decision. Your local pond/fish store may be a good resource also.
Thanks for your reply, I have to admit the fact that it’s an all in one kit definitely appealed. I might just have to schedule in a trip to some pond stores and pick their brains - just don’t want them steering me to an unnecessary purchase to make more profit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Blagdon Affinity is a flexible clear liner supported on a very interesting frame. I love the side windows. My fear would be that a leak could be sudden and catastrophic in that situation. Metal or heavy plastic water troughs would be more secure... but no groovy side windows.

I wonder if the manufacturer recommends that the windows face North (in the Northern hemispehere). I know direct sunlight coming into the water column from the side can really increase the algae load. I suppose they could also be covered when nobody is viewing the fish.
Leakage is a consideration, it does only carry a 3 year guarantee.
They do supply sponges for cleaning the windows but it’s not a job I’d be wanting to do daily. The windows are such a nice feature though

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! It does look like a neat set up, no idea on how it would hold up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Leakage is a consideration, it does only carry a 3 year guarantee.
They do supply sponges for cleaning the windows but it’s not a job I’d be wanting to do daily. The windows are such a nice feature though
you're definitely going tot get algae; count on it. And when you do, not knowing exactly what kind of plastic the windows are made of, you have to be very careful when cleaning as plastic scratches and once scratcehed, they stay scratched. Glass is inifinitely better re cleaning of algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mean to be too negative. It really does look like it could be fun.
With a few small fish, plants, the pump, and those window sponges I think algae would be manageable, though I would consider keeping the windows covered when nobody is looking through them.

Protecting fish from predation might require getting a net, or better yet a rigid grille or cage of some kind.

It has a two-year warranty but I wouldn't put it anywhere where a sudden flood would be catastrophic.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mean to be too negative. It really does look like it could be fun.
With a few small fish, plants, the pump, and those window sponges I think algae would be manageable, though I would consider keeping the windows covered when nobody is looking through them.

Protecting fish from predation might require getting a net, or better yet a rigid grille or cage of some kind.

It has a two-year warranty but I wouldn't put it anywhere where a sudden flood would be catastrophic.
A grille or something similar would be a necessity, we have a local heron unfortunately.
A sudden flood wouldn’t really be a problem where I’m planning on siting it - except for the fish of course!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Jenny,
I'm quite new to the forum myself, and am in awe of the wonderful pond set-ups many on here have, plus their extensive knowledge.
One area, though, where I have some experience, is having a "patio pond." I'm also quite close to your location geographically, being approx 100 miles south of Stafford, so I appreciate the sort of weather you're likely to have. So I have looked at the model you are interested in and have to say I think it's too flimsy. When "The Beast From The East" hit I was glad that my fish were protected to some extent by the 2" thick wood my 800liter pond is made from. This last winter wasn't very noteworthy, but even so, we had below freezing temps for over a week at one point in my area. For what it's worth, my wooden pond arrived in kit form and was quite easy to assemble. I'd be worried about such a short guarantee, seems the makers arent too convinced of their pond's longevity.
PS, they are also wildly optimistic about the numbers and size of the fish the pond can have, if the promotional video is anything to go by.
Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Jenny,
I'm quite new to the forum myself, and am in awe of the wonderful pond set-ups many on here have, plus their extensive knowledge.
One area, though, where I have some experience, is having a "patio pond." I'm also quite close to your location geographically, being approx 100 miles south of Stafford, so I appreciate the sort of weather you're likely to have. So I have looked at the model you are interested in and have to say I think it's too flimsy. When "The Beast From The East" hit I was glad that my fish were protected to some extent by the 2" thick wood my 800liter pond is made from. This last winter wasn't very noteworthy, but even so, we had below freezing temps for over a week at one point in my area. For what it's worth, my wooden pond arrived in kit form and was quite easy to assemble. I'd be worried about such a short guarantee, seems the makers arent too convinced of their pond's longevity.
PS, they are also wildly optimistic about the numbers and size of the fish the pond can have, if the promotional video is anything to go by.
Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on.
Thanks, that’s really quite helpful. I’m starting to wonder whether I could persuade some friends to help build one from scratch with the promise of cake. I’m getting more unsure of the kit the more I think about it. Feel like I’m more likely to get what I want if I sort it myself. Think I’m going to have to have a rethink!

Ask a Question