Raised Preformed Pond??

Reaction score
Just wondering your guys thoughts on Partially digging a preformed pond so that it is slightly raised. I have 3 dogs, one of which is a Golden Retriever who will think it's his personal bath and another that tries to catch my aquarium fish. I can't imagine what he'll do with a pond...I was thinking about doing a preformed pond (hoping for something in the 500g range). My Idea is to partially dig it then surround the the pond with some decorative stone...I took a pic of a similar idea at my local nursery....Any thoughts????

IMG_1491.jpg

Reaction score
partially digging a pond is definitly possible...ive seen a few ponds that are 3 feet deep with a 1 foot above ground...they were also done with a flexible liner like koiguy said

Reaction score
Yes it will work quite well either way you go.

The added height also allows for an area to sit and enjoy your pond and fish.

But what makes this picture is the raised planting area around the back and side of the pond.

To make it look natural the plants need to be higher than the pond.

A tall grass plant as a backdrop just seems to work.

If it was just a block wall with a pre-formed pond set into it the results may look a little stark.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys...I drove down a a local pond supply place today. They had some raised ponds all done with a liner. They also had a some examples in stages. Building the wall, filled with silt/sand and formed. Then the liner etc. I think that is the way I will go. Like you said Koi Guy Then I can design size and shape better. And David you hit the nail on the head...Being able to sit on the area and having some plants...Well the learning continues. I keep you guys posted and I will document everything pics etc...hopefully that'll help the next guy....BA

Reaction score
Here is a raised pre-formed pond in experimental stage. My goal with this one was to create more pond / waterfall sound and it does. Makes a nice sound. What I did is take a 1 in pipe, attach it to a 1600gph pump and put a cap on the end. In the cap I drilled 10 small holes to allow the water to come out and and by adjusting flow with a valve I get it to fall right into the preformed pond. I could have used a much smaller pump, but it was the smallest I had.

Now I have two small ponds and one large arrayed in sequence along the back yard. Interesting when they are all running and you walk along it sounds like you're walking along a stream/river. Kind of neat. I included a picture of the little middle pond.

Of course, this is nothing like what you're wanting, but I thought it might be of interest. BTW, my lab and Rottie are older now and don't offer to jump in our 3000 gallon pond. We went to Walmart and bought some preformed, easy to install fence pieces and they're enough to keep the dogs out. I'm glad because the sides are steep; it'd be hard for them to get out.

Attachments

• Little ponds & garden boxes 2009 f4.jpg
    Little ponds & garden boxes 2009 f4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,360
  • Little ponds & garden boxes 2009 f2.jpg
    Little ponds & garden boxes 2009 f2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,633
  • Little ponds & garden boxes 2009 f3.jpg
    Little ponds & garden boxes 2009 f3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,434
  • Little ponds & garden boxes 2009 f1.jpg
    Little ponds & garden boxes 2009 f1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,337
Reaction score
BTW, I ditched this entire pond idea. Size is too small, water splashes out too much AND it'd be hard to beautify it so it looked nice. Besides, our electric bill has been hurtful the last two months, so I'm limiting us to two ponds and pump systems.

Reaction score
Yeah I ditched the raised idea myself...This project is getting bigger and bigger...:100:

Ask a Question