Raising height of preformed pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi think i put this q on the wrong forum thread

Wondering if anybody knows or has done it successfully or is it even possible to raise the height of a preformed pond to ultimately make it deeper ?

Im looking at raising the height to give me around 75mm more depth, my initial thoughts are to lay a bed of cement probably using pva in the mix then laying a course of edging bricks (similar to paving blocks) around the perimeter of the pond.

When set using I think its called G4 to make a watertight seal around the jointed parts .
Any thoughts or any other ideas would be welcome

Thanks for any replies
Graham

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your problem would be a water tight seal. If I were you I would yank the preform, put in a liner, raise the edge covered with liner.

I yanked three preforms, they broke (winter) become unlevel (winter) too shallow, yank tossed put in liner, never looked back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, what addy said...

I guarantee you'll never seal that edge. Don't waste your time, money and energy. Put it towards a new liner. Plus with a liner you can make it as big and deep as you want.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
same here preformed ponds do not last and it may cost you more headache than it is worth .If you want to use the preformed pond then I would use it as a plant holder .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - ditch the preformed and and get some liner. Easier, cheaper and more reliable than any "fix".

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies going to wait until later in the year and build up the pond to required level then use a good liner, one more small q would you still use underlay on top of the preformed bit ?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
would you still use underlay on top of the preformed bit ?
I would remove the preform, if you put liner in and over it, you might get water collecting between the liner and the preform with no where to go but lift your new liner.

Or put a few holes in it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would remove the preform, if you put liner in and over it, you might get water collecting between the liner and the preform with no where to go but lift your new liner.

Or put a few holes in it.
The drilling of a few holes as you suggest in the preformed is an interesting point/idea suppose this would stop any lifting of the new liner. I had a Heron a few years ago having a look around so fearful of one piercing any lining if it or others came back. I hoped that leaving as much of the preformed in would help against any damage a heron could do with its beak.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had herons hunting in my pond for a few years, even with all the protection I did. Never did get a hole in the liner. I now net the pond nothing else stopped them. A wide weave hung about 2-3 feet over the pond, stopped them finally.

Ask a Question