Raising the edge of the pond

Reaction score
Okay first question. We have hard red clay that has been fun to dig in:mad: My problem is one edge of the pond is at a lower grade. I had planned to us the extra dirt to raise the lower end of the pond. I have tried placing boards on the edge and pack the dirt back behind it. Each time I move the board the dirt colapses back in? I have tried dry dirt and today it was damp. Thought that would pack better. I'm only going 10inchs at the lowest. Am I going to have to use thin boards and contour it to the edge and leave it?

Reaction score
I know you will get better answers but here goes. How about leaving a shelf on the lower end and going out about a foot and using landscape blocks to bring it up even with the high side. the shelf will be 10" deep and a perfect place for rocks and a place of refuge for fry. The foot of space gets you off the edge with your block.

Reaction score
I like that. It would be the easiest way. To make sure I understand, what you are saying. Place the rock on the current grade to a height to level the edge (about 10"). Then pull the dirt in behind those rock and liner.

Reaction score
Plane, I'm just outside of the Charlotte city limits, so we are neighbors.

Pondmaster is heading in the right direction, and you can do a row of blocks and then wrap the liner over the blocks and tuck under. You have to make sure that the dirt under the blocks will not collapse under the weight of the block. It's always great if you can drive a short piece of rebar through the blocks, too, for extra support.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had to dig down 2-3 feet on the higher edge and i used that dirt to build a dirt berm, ie a sloping wall of dirt on the lower edge, it is around 3 foot high. I have planted it, made the slope a smooth decrease to try and make it look natural. Our slope when we began would have required a 6-8 foot wall on the lower edge of the pond.

We will have to make sure we have overflow outlets to make sure the dirt does not get washed away at all.

Reaction score
Yes thats it, The block that Lowes sells is the heavy earthtone type and has a slight contour so its very easy to curve either in or out. But you use whatever.

Ask a Question