Ranavirus in my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hello all im new here. i have been on a search to find the problem with my frogs in my pond. about a month ago me and my family made our first pond in our garden. we have now stocked it with northen green frogs wich i fished up with a rubber worm without a hook in the ditches at the side of the road. these frogs realy came from one road and the puddles wernt that spread out. we took the frogs and put them in our pond where they live with the goldfish. we got them not just because i love frogs but to help with the mosquito problem. about a 2 weeks ago i started noticing cuts scrapes blood and skin ulcers on the adult frogs. these were found on the tympanum the nose legs arms toes and back, the frogs also wernt there normal selves, they were swimming quite slowly and wernt leaving the pond at night anymore to hunt. i belive that the frogs have ranavirus and im scared that it wont just infect the fish but it will somehow find its way into my house and not just hurt my captive green frogs but also infect my toads my bearded dragons and my other reptiles. anyone who knows anything on this please let me know what i can do to help my frogs.

also one thing im going to add is that all the frogs being affected are adults. there names are turtle goose and duckie who sadley passed away yesterday due to the virus. i think that looking at her body that the virus had weekend her so much that she was unable to get back into the rocks in time and could have even frozen because it got so cold with that and the rain. none of the frogs that are anywhere from a neonate to 2 years old have been affected.
Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 11.19.14 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 11.19.34 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 11.19.21 AM.png

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh no!

I’ll have to look up Ranavirus. Since it appears to be named after frogs, is it possible that it only affects frogs, or only amphibians?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
no ranavirus can affect frogs salamanders reptiles and fish. luckly humans are safe but too my knowledge it can affect all frogs turles lizards snakes and any herp. there is multiple strains of the the virus that affect differant animals from that list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have no knowledge of this, but as a precaution remove all frogs. Isolate the ones showing symptoms from those that aren’t. Do not risk cross contamination with indoor pets. Wash hands, shoes, and any part of yourself that may carry the virus from outside. Consider pre treating your fish with things like medicated fish food, add crushed garlic to it to hopefully boost their immune systems to prevent infection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
so adding crushed garlic will boost the fishes imune system. one of the frogs saddley passed away and im not sure if the others are just hiding or what but i havent seen them in a few days. its possible that they too could have past away. none of the small frogs are showing any sighns and the fish dont seem affected. ive netted a few and checked them out and they seem fine. what kind are you talking about, the garlic, is it like the pickled stuff in the jar from the store or just normal garlic crushed up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
also would garlic powder work. not with any spices just good old, original, unseasoned, garlic powder

Ask a Question