Rat issues under pond!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I discovered a rat problem under my pond and so I removed my preformed liner along with pumps etc. Found tunnels from one side to the other plus 2 homes at the far corners.the pond sits in a spot surrounded by 3 concrete walls 19 inches deep but the water fall side is just a dirt slope this is the entrance. I will dig this out and place crushed stone to the top and hope this stops them from entering..I also think I will fill the side up with crushed stone and after it is level with the top I will relay the slate on the top and hope that this works.i live in Ontario Canada, it will soon be cold but I am not wanting to house rats over the winter months. Any other ideas would be helpful too.thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1600014209710.gif
@Puzlemstr
How about using some traps or poison?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I discovered a rat problem under my pond and so I removed my preformed liner along with pumps etc. Found tunnels from one side to the other plus 2 homes at the far corners.the pond sits in a spot surrounded by 3 concrete walls 19 inches deep but the water fall side is just a dirt slope this is the entrance. I will dig this out and place crushed stone to the top and hope this stops them from entering..I also think I will fill the side up with crushed stone and after it is level with the top I will relay the slate on the top and hope that this works.i live in Ontario Canada, it will soon be cold but I am not wanting to house rats over the winter months. Any other ideas would be helpful too.thanks
Oh gross! Where are they finding food? I think if you eliminate their food sources it would help. Any birdfeeders or open trash containers around? I noticed that a chipmunk had gotten behind my rubber liner one year. That surprised me for sure. But I live next door to Mr. Peanut so maybe not such a surprise.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

I was going to suggest you could also use that wire mesh underlayment - can't remember what it's called but I've seen it used when people have concerns about burrowing animals chewing through EPDM liner. Maybe someone can help with the product name!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF!

I was going to suggest you could also use that wire mesh underlayment - can't remember what it's called but I've seen it used when people have concerns about burrowing animals chewing through EPDM liner. Maybe someone can help with the product name!
Hardware cloth?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well I dug a channel down to the base of the wall where the rats were entering. I have datctraps out. Neighbours feed the birds and raccoons all year round. I have asked them to stop but they tell me birds and animals need to est too. I called the city and if I can get photos of them putting out compost they will send someone to ask them to stop and to keep their yards free of foods for animals.For now I have traps out and see if there are anymore critters still around. The liver is out once I am sure the rats are gone I will place it back and fill around the liner with gravel so if the rats return and dig things will cave in on them and they will leave for good.

Ask a Question