Rate my Sanke please

Reaction score
I don't know much but would love to get into show koi. I am totally new and don't know what to look for. I am doing research and I decided to start with the Sanke. Could you guys give me pointers and things I need to know so I can prepare myself for this new venture? Thanks
He's a few years old and 21"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 316
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As sanke's go its a bit large headed and the patterning could be better but again its a nice drop of colour in your pond but it isnt show grade

Dave

Reaction score
As sanke's go its a bit large headed and the patterning could be better but again its a nice drop of colour in your pond but it isnt show grade

Dave
Cool I understand it's not show grade, but what I would like to know is judging from this Sanke, what do I look for when getting a show koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Time and expeiance are your best friend with koi appreciation, also reading books on koi appreciation of which we have a copy of the best book you can buy.
On Amazon they are quite alot cheaper than a book store, the book itself is called "Koi Appreciaton the first step" it is written by a former British koi keepers Society top judge (now living in Australia( called Kate McGill , ISBN 1861264682
Hope this helps you in your quest :)

Dave

Reaction score
Time and expeiance are your best friend with koi appreciation, also reading books on koi appreciation of which we have a copy of the best book you can buy.
On Amazon they are quite alot cheaper than a book store, the book itself is called "Koi Appreciaton the first step" it is written by a former British koi keepers Society top judge (now living in Australia( called Kate McGill , ISBN 1861264682
Hope this helps you in your quest :)

Dave
Thanks a lot Dave that will be my first starting point

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Where in the world are you Devin US Canada or UK ?
Both the US and the UK have societies that come together under one roof in the US its the Associated Koi Clubs of America or AKCA and in the UK its the BKKS we are the founding fathers to the Plymouth and District Koi Keepers Sciety est way back in 1991 with jus 7 like minded people we now have around 50 families as members and evem Va;'s cousin and her husband joined when they bought a house with a koi pond .
If there is no club in your area why not see about forming one ?

Dave

Reaction score
Where in the world are you Devin US Canada or UK ?
Both the US and the UK have societies that come together under one roof in the US its the Associated Koi Clubs of America or AKCA and in the UK its the BKKS we are the founding fathers to the Plymouth and District Koi Keepers Sciety est way back in 1991 with jus 7 like minded people we now have around 50 families as members and evem Va;'s cousin and her husband joined when they bought a house with a koi pond .
If there is no club in your area why not see about forming one ?

Dave
I am in Wilmington De and I've searched for a few and haven't found any. How would I even start a koi club around here? That would be cool.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, personally, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I think he's lovely! But I know what you mean about wanting to know what to look for in a good specimen! There is so much to consider in their conformation, fin placement, etc., and posting on here is a good way to hone your observation skills!

And I still think he's pretty...... :)

Reaction score
You may want to look up the mid-Atlantic koi club. They have a lot of active members in your area.

Ask a Question