Re: Bulkheads

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi -

I just posted something on bulkheads that I screwed up on. I used 5200 which I've used for years and using poly bulkheads on a 55 gallon poly drum caused 2 small leaks. 5200 doesn't adhere to poly which I found out after the fact!

These come with only one gasket. They're thick gaskets needed for the curve but are there any tricks I should know other than
don't use 5200 on poly. Female on outside, gasket inside? I have 2 extra gaskets from the old bulkheads I had to remove. Should I use one inside and one out? Slightly more than hand tighten?

Thanks as I realized I should posted in this section .... :) ...

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 11.37.46 AM.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can buy those rubber gaskets at lowes just bring it along and they will tell you where it is .I had to buy a new one for a tank I took apart .my fault I ripped it with the plumbing wrench I used Tractor supply also has them but more money

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
you can buy those rubber gaskets at lowes just bring it along and they will tell you where it is .I had to buy a new one for a tank I took apart .my fault I ripped it with the plumbing wrench I used Tractor supply also has them but more money

Thanks as I'll try Home Depot first, they're closer!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
as the picture you posted shows the open end to the right should be inside the water. and if your barrel is rounded you should have bought rounded bulkeds or even use the uniseals https://pentairaes.com/uniseal-rubber-seal.html

I've seen the uniseals and my thought was at the bottom of the drum, the pressure is up there with about 375 gallons
sitting on top. What actually holds them in place??? I'll be using a 2200 gal/hr pump from my friends pond to the intake at the bottom + I'll have ball valves for a clean-out and a ball valve on the intake. When unseals are installed, can a piece be glued in with pvc glue and parts. Doesn't look like it. The open end you said goes in the water is actually what goes outside so a pvc threaded 1-1/2" / slip can go in. The pvc pipe and valves can be glued. Washer inside and out shouldn't matter which side is in the water. make any sense @GBBUDD ??? I'm doing this a 2nd time and don't want to make anymore costly mistakes .... Any thoughts? ... Much appreciated...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rule is the gasket and flange are as I stated, the thread means nothing as I have the exact same fitting but I use the thread to reduce the 2" to 1 1/4" for a return jet into the pond for circulation you can order threaded or slip to one end both ends or neither end that's maters not its in your design. it is more efficient to stop the water from reaching the threads to the bulked less chance of problems and have a cardboard washer on the outside under the nut if it was installed to say epdm but for a plastic barrel one is not needed.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I use the same bulkhead a lot .
Keep the hole tight , put the gasket on the big part inside or outside it doesn’t matter, keep it dry ....
Then put a bead of silicone or something similar all the way around on the threads that stick through right next to the barrel . And crank the nut tight

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine goes from 2 1/2 inch thread to a smaller 1 1/2 inch thread end on it .I did this just for now and when I will get a chance to change it ,I have no clue .Took me 3 years saying I was going to put the second filter in .It has been like the second pic for 3 years now
100_4480.JPG
100_4182.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Keep the hole tight , put the gasket on the big part inside or outside it doesn’t matter, keep it dry ....
Then put a bead of silicone or something similar all the way around on the threads that stick through right next to the barrel . And crank the nut tight

@DrCase ... Hey, how are you? have you installed any BH's at the bottom with pressure from the water in the drum? If you read through, I originally used 5200 never thinking it wouldn't take to poly. So after reading, watching you tubes and asking on here, I'm going to have all 3 bulkheads in the 55 gal drum with the flat female threaded side outside and the male threads coming through to the inside. I have extra gaskets so I might use one on the outside also, though these only come with one each for the inside. Hoping an extra gasket doesn't create a problem. I'm using one 2" BH and two 1-1/2" BH's ... 3 all together. Hoping the 2" with the curve is ok.

Did you use the GE clear silicon and was that for lubing the threads, for a better seal or both? I can't screw up a second time. BulkHeads will be here today! I'm also using an Aqua 50 watt UV coming off the return back to pond as the water coming out is at the top going into the 2" BH, then in the 2" UV and to the pond.

When I did this and tested it, I used a 2200 gph pump and was amazed at the amount of water pouring out of that return so I think the UV will fill up just fine at the bottom. Well I think I've got it. I used this BH once 5 years ago cutting through my Savio skimmer and ran 1-1/2" pvc to a tank underground for my overflow. No leakage but it wasn't critical. What I'm doing is critical and for a friend. No money being made, just a favor.

This being for a friend for the cost of materials is now costing me because I screwed up the first time with the 3m/5200 .... I was redundant should you have not read through. Any other thoughts doc ??? Thx!

PS - Just heard about Meyer ... Sad! Was he ill? Anyone know as I was on and off a while, mostly off and busy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He had been ill for awhile and had sold his beloved house and got rid of the ponds and fish before selling and moved in with family .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would only use 1 gasket no matter what side I wanted the flat side on
The silicone gets pushed into the hole to fill the void for back up

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My holes were so tight that I had to screw them in .No leaks and they came with 2 gaskets .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well, it's redone! No lube, no silicone, just one gasket inside and it's leakproof. Ran it 2 hours in the pool and solid.
Yay !!!
IMG_8648.jpg
IMG_8650.jpg

Ask a Question