Re-doing sides of my pond.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found out through some deep research that my pond was built in 98. It looks to have maybe 3 layers. (Cement, some kind of stuff that looks like insulation and then a black outer to protect everything. I've attached some pictures for everyone to see. I'm curious if anyone knows what exactly is the shell made out of and recommendations for repair. The sides have taken a beating from the weedeaters. Thank you in advance for your suggestions and help.
20210414_121656.jpg
20210414_121702.jpg
20210414_121709.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. I’m guessing it’s 45 mil. epdm? Thats a pretty standard pond liner and it should extend all the way under the water in your pond. It may look green under water because of algae that has coated it. That part is a good thing. You should probably be able to buy a new liner and put it over the old one to fix the problem. It would require taking everything out of your pond to get it to lay flat.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I’m guessing it’s 45 mil. epdm? Thats a pretty standard pond liner and it should extend all the way under the water in your pond. It may look green under water because of algae that has coated it. That part is a good thing. You should probably be able to buy a new liner and put it over the old one to fix the problem. It would require taking everything out of your pond to get it to lay flat.
I don't think it's a liner. Wouldn't a liner just peel off? This is more like a shell. As I said prior, the base is cement, then there's yellow insulation followed by a black hard top. I've seen these liners you mentioned before but they are just that liners without the insulation. Just a thought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is the black part rubbery? Looks like Pond Armor / Pond Shield. Might be able to just apply a new coat of the stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh sorry. Didn’t see it was a hard shell. Thought is was maybe a old weathered liner. I’m guessing they used some sort of epoxy coating like BASF Master Seal traffic coat 2500. It used to be called sonoguard. It’s typically used to waterproof decks and things like that. To recover with new material you would need to make a clean smooth service and put a base coat on first.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the black part rubbery? Looks like Pond Armor / Pond Shield. Might be able to just apply a new coat of the stuff.
If I knock on the black part, it's more like a shell . Some parts I knock on are more cushioning I guess being how old it is and being exposed to the sun all these years. I'll look into your suggestions. They could work.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh sorry. Didn’t see it was a hard shell. Thought is was maybe a old weathered liner. I’m guessing they used some sort of epoxy coating like BASF Master Seal traffic coat 2500. It used to be called sonoguard. It’s typically used to waterproof decks and things like that. To recover with new material you would need to make a clean smooth service and put a base coat on first.
Ok great! I'll look into this. Yeah, I've done some research and looking at pond images but have yet to see this. This could be the stuff they indeed used originally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok great! I'll look into this. Yeah, I've done some research and looking at pond images but have yet to see this. This could be the stuff they indeed used originally.
Sounds good. I’m in construction and just redid my front deck. Basically had to fix the stone surface and make concrete repairs, primer, base coat, and top coat. If there are any waterproofing supply companies in your area they will give you better advice and materials than a big box store!

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds good. I’m in construction and just redid my front deck. Basically had to fix the stone surface and make concrete repairs, primer, base coat, and top coat. If there are any waterproofing supply companies in your area they will give you better advice and materials than a big box store!

Yeah, if you look at the last photo, you can see the layers I'm talking about. You can see the cement on the upper left, followed by the yellow insulation and then the top black stuff. It may just work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sounds like to me like you have a cement base . With a spray foam insulation who what why when I can't help yeah there. But the color is the same as the two part foam. Now I have used it its a closed cell foam that is actually water proof, I have used it on homes along the shore to prevent the need for ripping out the walls after a extraordinarily high tide or storm. Was someone else familiar and found it easy to work with easy to shape and you could skim coat over it .

If it was me I'd mix up some mortar add some black concrete die to it and re stimulate the effected areas if not all of your pond edge.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like to me like you have a cement base . With a spray foam insulation who what why when I can't help yeah there. But the color is the same as the two part foam. Now I have used it its a closed cell foam that is actually water proof, I have used it on homes along the shore to prevent the need for ripping out the walls after a extraordinarily high tide or storm. Was someone else familiar and found it easy to work with easy to shape and you could skim coat over it .

If it was me I'd mix up some mortar add some black concrete die to it and re stimulate the effected areas if not all of your pond edge.
Give me an example of the spray insulation your thinking that was used.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Google closed cell two part spray foam. Or better yet youtube it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: That's an interesting take. Makes a lot of sense when you look at what is there. Kind of makes no sense when you ask yourself "why?" Best I can think of is that concrete pond is leaking and closed cell foam is one option for making it water tight again. Seems like the least rational option, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: That's an interesting take. Makes a lot of sense when you look at what is there. Kind of makes no sense when you ask yourself "why?" Best I can think of is that concrete pond is leaking and closed cell foam is one option for making it water tight again. Seems like the least rational option, though.
After being a builder remodeling contractor for over 40 years I didn't build there pond I'm just saying from what he addressed as insulation . In a pond what it may be I have seen pennies in place of fuses. I have seen kiddie pools used as a shower pan mud job. I have seen cardboard crates used as insulation from ww2 in a home. I helped build a full size replica of stone henge. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Ask a Question