Country
United States
Watch it @brokensword or no cake for you
1640196062695.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
first time posting here, but I could use advice.

Few days ago I was testing water (NH3/4, NO2, NO3 levels) and I noticed one fish was floating upside down with massive swollen belly. I decided to bring her slowly from hibernation to get her digestion working again. I moved her to bucket with airstone, warmed the water from original 2-3°C (36F) to 15° (59F) slowly over 2-3 days, fed her some peas. After reading some threads here (like: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/goldfish-with-huge-belly-but-no-pineconing-of-scales.10235/) I was nearly ready to finish her. Next day she was swiming belly down, it maybe got even little smaller and she is definitelly more vital.

So for now I am carefully optimistic, I will keep her for some time on peas diet and will see.

The question is: Is it ok to put goldfish to hibernation again? Can she handle it? (twice per winter). How long should I wait (once/if she is gets to full health)?
Keeping her in bucket until spring is not impossible but complicated (no filtration, space.... etc)

About setup:
280l tank with few goldfish of different age - I had one loss and my workmate wanted to get rid of some young so I took them. At first it was indoor aquaponics for a few years but this year I had to move everything outside. So it's their first real winter after years (in lifetime :S).

Thanks for any tips :)
So... how is the fish doing?

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hi again,
thanks everyone for tips and opinions.

Fish is fine. Belly is small again and she is vital, eating a swimming around :)
Local outdoor temperatures are unusually high these days (almost 10F) so i will see. If water temperature gets to those levels I will consider moving her out again. For now she is in biggest container I could find - 45 liter (almost 12 gal) pot I use (used :d) for homebrewing.

I do not have indoor filtration system so for now I just change water often. ( I have plenty of air pumps so at least that wasn't a problem).

Sadly today I noticed that another fish in tank died. She looked ok (like perfect fish) and was only 2 years old (if I remember correctly). Water levels (at least NH3/4 , NO2, NO3) still fine. To be sure I changed 1/3 of water in tank (yes I used same water temperature as is in tank)
That's just life I guess .

If anyone is interested I will update again soon.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Hi again,
thanks everyone for tips and opinions.

Fish is fine. Belly is small again and she is vital, eating a swimming around :)
Local outdoor temperatures are unusually high these days (almost 10F) so i will see. If water temperature gets to those levels I will consider moving her out again. For now she is in biggest container I could find - 45 liter (almost 12 gal) pot I use (used :d) for homebrewing.

I do not have indoor filtration system so for now I just change water often. ( I have plenty of air pumps so at least that wasn't a problem).

Sadly today I noticed that another fish in tank died. She looked ok (like perfect fish) and was only 2 years old (if I remember correctly). Water levels (at least NH3/4 , NO2, NO3) still fine. To be sure I changed 1/3 of water in tank (yes I used same water temperature as is in tank)
That's just life I guess .

If anyone is interested I will update again soon.

Thanks again
you can make a filter just with air pumps...just need a bit of homemade work ;)

Ask a Question