Re-Planting Bulrushes.. Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wondered if anyone can help me with a problem.

This year I had to remake, renew, my pond after a failure in the liner so I had to remove established plants and Pond Medium.

I have since replaced said liner (Made the Pond bigger) and re-established most of my pond plants but with one set I am struggling.
I am unable to weigh down my Bulrushes and plant baskets don't work because of depth, size of root, and angles so I am wondering if there are any recommendations for biodegradable sacks, or baskets, that could be weighted with Gravel, that would allow roots and shoots to penetrate, that wouldn't degrade too quickly..

TIA.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd suggest just planting them right in the pond - no basket, bag or pot at all. However, I do worry about bulrushes... how big are they?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Instead of baskets just use nursery pots. They will hold the media much better. Ones with drainage holes are fine, preferable even.
I grow all my aquatics in such containers. and have not had any issues. A nearby wholesale aquatic plant operation to me does the same.

if you also have an issue with your plants catching the wind or being top-heavy. You could also wire or tape several such containers together to make a more stable base.

Ask a Question