Re-ponding

Reaction score
I am in sunny FL and have a cement pond that was built about 15-20 years ago. Got a leak and it sat for 5 or so years. Leak fixed. It is about 10 x 10 kinda octagon about 2.5 feet deep with a 2' waterfall. We had a large (hubby took care of that part so don't know how large) swimming pool sand filter filled with graduated sizes of rock/pebbles. He back flushed as he felt it needed it. We had no idea what we were doing, but it went near about 10+ years trouble free with about 6 or so Koi.

Friend of mine was going to build an above ground planted overflow pond to use as a filter. She had a prefab, black pond she was going to use. Maybe about 1/3 the size of my pond. Friend moved away. I am now on my own. After much reading about veggie, bog, mechanical filters etc, I am at a total loss (overwhelmed actually) as what would be the best filtration system to use. Husband is too old to have to deal with it just to keep me happy :) My choice, he is willing.

So, I consider myself a newbie. Which forum here is the best to read/search about filtration? Or some one here jump in with some advice. Thanks, and I am glad I found the forum, although a bit intimidating.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use a bog for filtration. I am still very new to bog filters so I can't say much other than after one season it has held up great and kept my water crystal clear.

Most everything with ponds seems really confusing until you figure it out and then it isn't so bad after all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No reason to be intimidated! Everyone here was a newbie at one time!

Our bog is the only filtration on our 4000 gallon system. You'll find varied opinions here on the pros and cons of bogs - you really have to sort through them and decide for yourself what makes the most sense. It's my opinion (from my personal experience with our DIY pond) that a pond with a low to moderate fish load can be effectively filtered with a bog. They are relatively easy to construct, plant and maintain. We love our bog and the variety of frogs, toads, birds and bugs it attracts as well as the variety of plants we have been able to grow in it.

Where do you live Jean? Do you have a filter running now? You said you were successful for 10 or more years with your current system - has something changed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Meyer may well be your man here however he uses a differing type of natural filter again from the bog filter , in saying that there are many forum members who do have fully working bog filters that would be more than willing to help you .
We are UK based koi keepers who use mechanical filtration on our koi so cannot help you .
Welcome fro Plymouth in the UK and I really must say from my frequent visits to Florida whilst serving in the Royal Navy many years ago now that it was one of the most friendly places I've ever been (I wish we were there now , instead of freezing our buts off here in a UK about to be hit by a weather bomb swinging in from the Atlantic with predicted winds of 80 mph heavy rains etc (we had enough in the way of storms last year when we were hit by storm after storm .
Best of luck

Dave

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would check out Addy's showcase on her bog system. I started my pond last year and her thread was incredibly helpful in my decision to build a bog, (as well as HOW to construct a bog). I do not have fish so I can't answer if a bog will be sufficient for 5 or 6 Koi since I've heard they are voracious poopers. LOL But don't worry, we are all here to help with what we can, (besides the digging) :p.

Reaction score
No reason to be intimidated! Everyone here was a newbie at one time!

Our bog is the only filtration on our 4000 gallon system. You'll find varied opinions here on the pros and cons of bogs - you really have to sort through them and decide for yourself what makes the most sense. It's my opinion (from my personal experience with our DIY pond) that a pond with a low to moderate fish load can be effectively filtered with a bog. They are relatively easy to construct, plant and maintain. We love our bog and the variety of frogs, toads, birds and bugs it attracts as well as the variety of plants we have been able to grow in it.

Where do you live Jean? Do you have a filter running now? You said you were successful for 10 or more years with your current system - has something changed?
I am in Lakeland (Central) FL. Pond was down for about 5 years due to leak but now fixed and getting ready to re-pond it. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Meyer may well be your man here however he uses a differing type of natural filter again from the bog filter , in saying that there are many forum members who do have fully working bog filters that would be more than willing to help you .
We are UK based koi keepers who use mechanical filtration on our koi so cannot help you .
Welcome fro Plymouth in the UK and I really must say from my frequent visits to Florida whilst serving in the Royal Navy many years ago now that it was one of the most friendly places I've ever been (I wish we were there now , instead of freezing our buts off here in a UK about to be hit by a weather bomb swinging in from the Atlantic with predicted winds of 80 mph heavy rains etc (we had enough in the way of storms last year when we were hit by storm after storm .
Best of luck

Dave
Dave,
I am from Chicago originally, so I know about cold and snow. So glad I am in FL now! I am doing as much research as I can. Most bogs that I have seen are shallow, 12-18" or so. The above pond overflow prefab I already have, is about 2' deep. It is actually a small prefab pond with on outer ledgee for plants etc, then inner area is much deeper.
So, I don't know if I can use that. I will keep looking and asking here. I am sure I will get the info I need to go the right direction.

Reaction score
I would check out Addy's showcase on her bog system. I started my pond last year and her thread was incredibly helpful in my decision to build a bog, (as well as HOW to construct a bog). I do not have fish so I can't answer if a bog will be sufficient for 5 or 6 Koi since I've heard they are voracious poopers. LOL But don't worry, we are all here to help with what we can, (besides the digging) :p.
Well, I checked out Addy's build and I, for sure, ain't going anywhere near there. The lady is insane, but I give her tons of credit and respect. Now I am really intimidated :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lady is insane, but I give her tons of credit and respect. Now I am really intimidated :)
Geez,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,insane........................lol

It was called, can't cut the grass on the slope, love ponds, honey buying me a tractor.......................the perfect storm! And going from working 2 full time jobs to retired early. Had to do something.

You preform would easily make a small bog, it might not be enough for your pond size, but then again it might be just fine. It will be added filtration, you can make it with pea gravel or just have it full of water plants. 1/3 the size of your pond is a decently sized bog for your pond.

Mine ended up that big, because of our slope, it is part of the lower edge of the pond berm, saw no reason not to make it the length of the pond. All the dirt from the dig, built the ponds lower wall, around 8 foot tall, xxx feet wide. The bog is 4.5 feet wide, .5 feet is very shallow part of the back wall. The berm wall is around 6-8 foot wide.

Welcome_flip.gif
to our group! ask all the ??'s you want.

Reaction score
Geez,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,insane........................lol

It was called, can't cut the grass on the slope, love ponds, honey buying me a tractor.......................the perfect storm! And going from working 2 full time jobs to retired early. Had to do something.

You preform would easily make a small bog, it might not be enough for your pond size, but then again it might be just fine. It will be added filtration, you can make it with pea gravel or just have it full of water plants. 1/3 the size of your pond is a decently sized bog for your pond.

Mine ended up that big, because of our slope, it is part of the lower edge of the pond berm, saw no reason not to make it the length of the pond. All the dirt from the dig, built the ponds lower wall, around 8 foot tall, xxx feet wide. The bog is 4.5 feet wide, .5 feet is very shallow part of the back wall. The berm wall is around 6-8 foot wide.

Glad you took my comment in the spirit it was intended. I understand the depth of your project. I breed African grey parrots. Started with two now have 100....................lol

How deep is your bog? I studied it quite a bit, and thought it was fairly deep. My pond is empty at the moment, and my old filter system is shot, so looking to start that part from scratch. Do I want a bog, an internal filter, another sand/gravel filter, combinations or what? That is my dilemma right now. Almost sorry I researched, now I have a little knowledge and it's dangerous. Your "pond" is beyond words. Since I live in Florida, it is flatter than flat.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is deep, around 2.5 feet. It ended up that deep, because a crazy broad on a tractor dug it that deep, then did not want to back fill it. I needed the dirt for the lower wall berm. I now like it that deep, mainly because I can take a pitchfork to dig out plants that get too big, take over etc without worrying about damaging the liner.

I have used bogs for so long as my different ponds filters I am not a lot of help on other filters. I have used skippy type 55 gallon barrel filters they do seem to work well. Check the DIY section a lot of good info on making your own stuff.

We are down in Delray right now, no kidding it is flat and sandy.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, I checked out Addy's build and I, for sure, ain't going anywhere near there. The lady is insane, but I give her tons of credit and respect. Now I am really intimidated :)
Oh trust me, I didn't go that large either but her thread gave me a ton of info. And yeah I am pretty sure a requirement for ponding is slight insanity. LOL

Ask a Question