Ready to dethatch the yard now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just picked up a used John Deere dethatcher and had to make a custom bracket for my zero turn mower. The yard really needs it with all the heavy snow pack we had. I built the bracket yesterday.

This is where I had to mount it. It came with a homemade bracket already but it would not work for me.

IMG_4615.JPG

Here is the piece I made out of 1/4 steel and 2" angle iron. Just needs the holes drilled now

IMG_4616.JPG

Holes all drilled now and mounted

IMG_4620.JPG

Dethatcher mounted

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

All painted, the plate looks really close to the ground but it is actually about 6 1/2" up off the ground. Much higher then the mower deck.

IMG_4623.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very nice job. So, would your new piece of equipment normally have been a front end attachment (pushing it) or rear end (dragging it)? Guess I figured it would be rear end, and I have a ZTR as well. OH, and are you going to paint that "JD green" to match your mower, too?
Dethatching is sure good for the grass. I always wanted to roll my yard, so it was not so bumpy, but someone mentioned that rolling a yard is really hard on the grass, compresses it too much. Is that true? It makes sense, I guess ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As long as we have green I am happy, clover, dandelions, grass.......... Our soil is so yucky, not worth the expense to try and make it beautiful

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought one from sears years ago not the best but it works some what .I really think an aerator works better .Put down organic fertilizer and grass seed and then aerate the yard .Do you have to put weights on top of it or is it heavy enough ,mine needs weights.Plus I see yours has swivel wheels and mine are fixed and fixed are not worth crap

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very nice job. So, would your new piece of equipment normally have been a front end attachment (pushing it) or rear end (dragging it)? Guess I figured it would be rear end, and I have a ZTR as well. OH, and are you going to paint that "JD green" to match your mower, too?
Dethatching is sure good for the grass. I always wanted to roll my yard, so it was not so bumpy, but someone mentioned that rolling a yard is really hard on the grass, compresses it too much. Is that true? It makes sense, I guess ...
This one is designed for a front end so needs to push.

I most likely will leave the John Deere unpainted. It will only be on machine a few times a season. Not all the time. The plate I made will stay one all the time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As long as we have green I am happy, clover, dandelions, grass.......... Our soil is so yucky, not worth the expense to try and make it beautiful
Make no mistake if it green it is good for me too. What ever grows is fine with me. This year the yard is so packed down it will help with the clean up

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We never had a heavy snow pack, just darn cold.

Ask a Question