Ready to Kill the Dog....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
:jawdrop: It's a good thing I love her, or she'd be gone.:mad:

Zira is now 3, and she is worse than last year! Of course, the fish are spawning, flashing and flopping
on the surface plants, and driving her crazy!

She chases squirrels out of the yard, sometimes chases birds, although not always. Good thing, we
have 6 feeders. She just doesn't believe me when I tell her to get out of the pond.

The pond has 3 levels. The top, shallow level, just below the waterfall was for frogs, but they
are long gone, and the thick plants work as a bio-filter. The middle pond is deep, 30-38" and she avoids that,
the lowest part is 12' wide and 14"-18" deep, and I have a little fence on one side, but she jumps in when
they ware visible there. There is an "island" of water thistle and water celery where the fish can hide, but???

I am considering an electric fence.

Does anyone else have this problem?o_O

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I had my dog she wasn't smart enough to figure out to stay in the yard. She got hit by a car once, ran away a couple times. We ended up keeping her outside on a long chain or cable so she still had a large area she could walk around and play but couldn't run away or go where she wasn't supposed to be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Are dogs are good around the pond. They all go in the stream, which does not hurt anything. We do have the electric fence. It was the best investment we have made for them. They do not even use the collars now they just know where to stop. I do not have it around the pond but around are properly.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fortunately my dog only walks through the creek and bog, she does venture into the pond to take a swim. She does chase birds, squirrels, chipmunks, and frogs. She has killed a baby rabbit, gotten a bird but that is it. She is more of a land hunter than a fishing dog , thank goodness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We have 7 dogs, three of them newfoundlands. We've pretty much trained them to stay out of the pond, but they love to drink from it. The only reason I don't want them in the pond, is it isn't safe, as it's a straight 3 ft drop on the sides and I'd be worried they couldn't get out....or would tear up the liner trying.

I finally pulled our bird feeders and decided the birds must fend for themselves, as my dogs ate either the shells of the black oilers or the bird poop....or both!!! We have planted many shrubs that offer berries to the bird:)

Reaction score
I was worried about our dogs in the pond as well, so far so good. They drink from it, but that's all. Although I saw one of them looking frisky when he spotted the fish swimming around ...... we shall see. I am only 4 months into this adventure.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have 7 dogs, three of them newfoundlands. We've pretty much trained them to stay out of the pond, but they love to drink from it. The only reason I don't want them in the pond, is it isn't safe, as it's a straight 3 ft drop on the sides and I'd be worried they couldn't get out....or would tear up the liner trying.

I finally pulled our bird feeders and decided the birds must fend for themselves, as my dogs ate either the shells of the black oilers or the bird poop....or both!!! We have planted many shrubs that offer berries to the bird:)
My yorkie never leaves the house without being on a leash, easy to keep track of her, she barks at the fish.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I was standing in the Rouge River last Spring fishing for rainbow trout.

I got a nice trout on (about 7lbs) and was fighting it in the current, when this black dog with a red bandana around its neck came tearing out of the woods and launched itself of the embankment. It frantically swam out to the fish on the line, broke it off (Thill float, split-shot weighted leader, wooly bugger fly), and then swam back to shore.

It shook itself off and just looked at me, tail wagging like it was looking for an "attaboy!". I swear that dogs can grin.

There was a lady coming down the trail. I looked at her, and all she did was shake her head and say "Sorry, it's not mine".

Of course the dog left with her.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
keep cats instead they just laze by the pond watching the koi "making no attempt to catch them either".

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Lol, love some of the replies!
We have 6' fences, that's the best way IMHO to keep a dog safe. They-naturally want to explore.
This morning there were a mated pair of ducks in the pond, I waited a bit, but finally let the dog out.
What flew out first was a hawk! He was trying to fish! In admiring the ducks, I missed seeing him!
And I found my water canon from last summer. Although Zira loves water, she hates getting
squirted! LOL! I put some little garden fences in areas where the fish were trying to spawn, although at 30, I think
we are full. (2000 gal)
Tula, SEVEN! I am trying to get DH to let me have another dog....I have had Saints and Labs in the past, my last big dog was
an Akita/Lab who was the sweetest boy in the world! He would never try to get into the pond, and never bothered our cats or parrots.
I made the sides of the pond sloping so she could get out if she falls in, and even put a board in for awhile when she was a puppy.
The deep area. The others are easy to get out of.

Morewater, that is funny....and sad for you, but still funny!

We have 2+ cats and 6 parrots.....lazing by the pond, lol.

Tmann, Zira is confined to 2/3 acre, and I think she needs more to chase.
She would be thrilled with several acres. She chases everything else out, so then the
fish are next on the list,. I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I used an electric fence to keep my dog out of the pond. It was a very small low to the ground one that was difficult to see. I did this on purpose so that my dog would associate the shock with the pond, not the fence. After a few shocks he stayed away for good. Soon I took the fence down and haven't had a problem since.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a

Attachments

• abbey_puppy7.jpg
    abbey_puppy7.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 220
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My dog loves my nature pond which is a tiny one, I dont mind she goes there. My pond is a raised pond so she couldnt get it or even see what inside :)

Actaully this topic made me thought that I might try electric fence on my dog a bit. She loves to bolt out the door into the street and we cant have that.

Ask a Question