Ready to take the "plunge"!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's been 10 years since I saw my first "garden pond" and I fell in love! So now, the kids are grown and I have time to work on fulfilling a few of my dreams! I've attached a few pictures and am open to any and all advice. Pond will be approximately 15x19, and hope to make it as interactive as possible for the grandkids and me! Working on getting some quotes for the "equipment" and so far, that alone is going to blow my budget. Do I start out smaller, is there a way to start out with less equipment and add on? I would like to include a bog filter - so maybe forgo waterfall bio filter now? So many questions with so many possible right answers......where does one begin? Thank you in advance for your advice! One thing I've learned, look to those who have gone before you, for direction.......they just might know a thing or two.........should have taken that advice when I was younger!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 265

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
No matter what you decide on you'll enjoy a pond. Take time to look and read some topics here, especially for hardware, it's not that difficult to have a wonderful pond in due time.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do I start out smaller, is there a way to start out with less equipment and add on?
A lot of people say they wish they would have built bigger, so be careful about going too small. One of the big expenses of the pond is the liner, and it would be a shame to have to buy it twice (when you want to go bigger).
That will be a great place for a pond!

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
shop around .I had a budget and stayed in it by shopping around memorial day will have great sales .I know webbs and pet solutions and dr foster and smith are good .Build your own filter and make it your dream pond .Rocks if there are creeks around you can be free .You think it as borrowing them and giving them a nicer home .Remember to think of energy saving products .You don't want a high electric bill .You have a great spot for a pond .Remember also call dig safe you sure don't want surprises

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It would be wise to start out with 2 budget numbers in mind.
One number for the initial construction and one number for what you are willing to spend monthly.
That will tell you how large of a pond you should have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think I'm already addicted....thanks for the advise.....I so can't wait to get started!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I made my pond pretty simple, large pond, one pump running the only filter a large up-flow pea gravel filter full of plants (bog,, wetland filter, pea gravel filter, lots of names)
So my main expense was the large liner for the bog area and the pond, one pump, a skimmer that is run by the one pump, and pvc piping.
My pump is external, I do pull it for the winter, just run a pond breather to keep a hole in the ice.

I do not do much to care for the pond, I do not have koi, do have a ton of plants, mainly just net out the fall leaves. It cares for itself. Around 40 fish in the big pond, maybe more, around 25 fish in the right side 1000 gallon pond , it gets fresh water via the one pump from the big pond, a constant renew of the water via a t in the piping, waterfalls into the pond waterfalls out and back into the big pond. Same with the little fishless ponds on the left, they are mainly plants, lotus, lilies, parrots feather, etc.
All of my ponds have been built with plant filters, I have never used a bought filter.

It has been running since 2010 and the pond water stays perfect. My bog filter area is around 25% of the pond area, around. This is the pond right now, raining.

The arrows point to the ponds, the circle is the outline of the "bog" My land is real sloped parts of the ponds are not seen due to the slope.
pond1.JPG

Reaction score
One thing I've learned, look to those who have gone before you, for direction.......they just might know a thing or two.........should have taken that advice when I was younger!
I'll offer one bit of advice, leave more room between the pond and that fence.
If and when you ever want to access and maintain the fence or the pond on that side you'll be wishing you had a little more solid ground from which to work on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My advise:

1- Go 3' deep for goldfish or 4' if you want koi.
2- Make a fish cave when making the pond.

Finally, if you can afford it, get a professional.

Ask a Question