Really looking forward to spring!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The weather just plain sucks, cold, warm, rain, snow just everything. I really want to get the pond up and running. Looking forward to the new native plants coming back. normally I just wait it out but this year I just want to get there already. Snow for tomorrow than cold. I want to sit by the fire with a glass of wine with the stream running. Jealous of all of you that can run the pond all year. Just a little rant :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Totally agree! Ponds are greening up and the fish are looking for food. The bog is starting to grow but I can't start the pump for it yet until I can clean out the holding area it drains into. Wasn't netted and is full of leaves.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The weather just plain sucks, cold, warm, rain, snow just everything.

I dealt with this winter better than I normally do, but I've reached that point. This is always the worst part of winter for me, because spring feels so close but there's no telling when we'll actually see winter leave.
We've got single-digit highs coming again next week, and there are no signs of spring any time soon.
At least I'm about to start growing my native seedlings in the basement. It's always nice to get that started.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tonight should be the last single digit temp here, and starting next week we should start to see Spring temps..hang in there a few more days! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tonight should be the last single digit temp here, and starting next week we should start to see Spring temps..hang in there a few more days! :)
My mistake, it looks like this whole week will be frigid cold, then next week we'll be in the upper 30s

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I hear you, a real blah time of year where the cold weather is getting quite tiresome. It's been a constant cold here in northeastern PA for several weeks now. Everything is covered in deep layers of snow. Can't seem to keep my truck clean from all the road salt. Got to bundle up every time the dog has to go out too. Whine...whine...rant...rant LOL! Try to laugh, if you don't, you'll cry!
The pond has been frozen over for quite some time now. The only good thing about that is if any tree branches break off, they won't damage anything since it's all protected by the ice! Hope all my buddies are OK under there! Haven't seen them in a while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't even remember the last time I saw the fish....sometime last year, I think it was last year. Maybe it was the year before. I did see one of them hanging out by the surface heater a couple of months ago but he didn't stay - I think the sun startled him back to the twilight under the ice and snow. I may have to drop a camera down there and see what's going on......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was lucky to see my fish a lot this winter, the cold didn't really start till mid January and even then the pond didn't stay covered for long.
but, this (this year) is the longest the falls have been off, for some reason the skimmers are taking really long to deice

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was thinking of doing the same @mrsclem , but we have a few cold nights coming again, in the 20's, the running bog really cools down the water. No frogs yet, pond is still clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I haven't got the courage to do anything drastic yet, but we are having a short string of 40+ degree days so I dug through the ice and snow to find the plug for the aerator and got that going. My hope is that the ambient air will start eroding the ice from underneath. I only run it during the day as the night temps are still in the 20's.
I guess if the aerator does work I'll have to call the dog.......he's laying in the middle of the pond. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
he's laying in the middle of the pond.

One of my dopey dogs just decided that this would be a good time to start using the pond as a short cut from one side of the yard to the other. I can see raccoon tracks going across it in the snow, so I'm sure she thinks "hey - what could happen?" Uh... you'll fall in you nut! I told her if she goes in, I'm not dragging her out. I don't think she believes me.

This old guy used to sleep on the pond all the time. He finally did fall through one year and that was the last time he did - I think it scared him worse than it did us!

Ask a Question