Really looking forward to spring!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I found an idea I’ll try to make happen this spring. A vertical garden by the pond. If I can get it done right, it’s a good starter idea for the wind block I’ll need when they go to spraying cotton again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I found an idea I’ll try to make happen this spring. A vertical garden by the pond. If I can get it done right, it’s a good starter idea for the wind block I’ll need when they go to spraying cotton again.
Always interested in new - different idea's!:)
What's the plan?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What's the plan?
After I get the pond built, I’ll think up the final plans. But first idea is drop 4x4 posts in the ground, make a box about 1’ deep the size of a sheet of plywood. Put in bracers, as needed, with holes drilled for irrigation tubes, line with plastic, fill with soil, cover with weed barrier cloth, cover with lattice. Cut holes through weed barrier, insert plants. Give it 3 weeks according to the video I saw, laying down, for plants to get well established. Then stand it up and attach to the posts, wall, or desired area. Apparently there are also cloth plant hangers for vertical walls, you can YouTube the different ideas. I’m thinking a wall about 6’ high, angled around the pond to get morning sun, but protect it from southern and northern winds. Depending on where it goes, I’ll do a mix of shade lovers, flowers, vines, etc. I might do the plants along the outside edge with herbs, small fruiting plants, strawberries would be good! Adding silicone along the edges of the plastic and along the drainage holes will help keep water damage down. I might try a folding screen design so I can move it as needed, or a door by the porch so I can get in with out going all around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cool! Sounds like an interesting project. Please take some photo's as you're building - would love to see how it progresses!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What's the plan?
I have to get the pond done first. Then I can decide. But the simple answer is to make a box about a foot deep, 4 ft wide, and roughly 6 ft long. Add bracers and supports in it for when I stand it up. Line it with plastic, run drip irrigation, fill with soil, cover with weed barrier cloth, then top that with lattice work. Put a plant in each hole of the lattice, give it time for plants to get established, then stand it up. I found the idea on YouTube. If I make several panels of it, with 4x4 posts planted to attach them too, it will be a good wind block against the cotton field overspray. The trick will be to find the right angles to set them at so the pond gets full light when I want, shade when needed, and not block my access to the pond. I’m thinking of plants like ferns, wild violets, forget me nots along the bottom, strawberries along the outside edge, and filling in the rest with a mix of plants. Mostly shorter kinds, which tend to be annuals, but some bulbs would do well if I lay it down for them to pop up each spring. I’ll try it out if I can, I’m also thinking that the corner by the porch could use a permit one propped at an angle, with a support, which would leave access for cats to hide behind. Fill it with lots of cold hardy plants, water it as needed, and enjoy! That corner gets ignored a lot, but it’s also where the access under the house is, water spigot, and might get used to enlarge the bog.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Saw my first blue bird today, hung another 12 bird houses around the yard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Saw my first blue bird today, hung another 12 bird houses around the yard.
Awesome, hopefully you will get a few takers. I seen a male checking out my boxes a couple days ago but I have not seen him again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Awesome, hopefully you will get a few takers. I seen a male checking out my boxes a couple days ago but I have not seen him again.
We went from one mating pair to around 4. I see them all summer. Love seeing them. They must like our bird houses.

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that the weather is so bad, 79 and sunny here in Florida.:cool: . I guess I'll see for myself in another month when I head back up north.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In my temp pond, water was so cold it makes my hands ache, but the lillies were putting up new leaves!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We were working at clearing the yard below the ponds and I decided to check pond temps. I was shocked! 56 in both ponds. Night temps have been in upper 20s so no food for a couple of weeks.

Ask a Question