really small doc bio filter

Reaction score
This really small guy. a 30q trash can I think. it is bigger then I need as my pond is only 160 gallons. but I wanted something tall enough that that it would go over the top of the pond. I put a 1/2" bulkhead fitting in the bottom and a 1.25" for the outflow. I used 1/2" pipe for everything. there is a 1/2" barb that goes on the t.
I made the grate from the hdpe I had left over from a job my cnc router made it easy to make. I had a lot of shavings from the job I debated on using but I forgot to clean the sawdust out of the garbage can first.
I was lazy and bout 300 bio balls from ebay as they are easy to deal with. but I wish they would not float. so I used a sponge mat that was in the filter before to hold them down.
I will post a picture of it in use in the morning. I would have liked a smaller diameter container but I could not find anything that was tall then the water would have to go through more media
photo2-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

Reaction score
I am debating on filling it up with bio media. I know it is overkill for such a small setup. I need to make something for the can to sit on too so I can get to the valve on bottom.
photo-2.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It might be small but it should work well filler up...

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question but can filters made from plastic containers such as this garbage can remain outside during winter. Reason I ask is because I've got a similar bin which I was thinking about converting.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i think that would be fine for a 200 gal pond....and you can get one at any lowes or home depot too! 18 gal...i have one thats been around for 5+ years outside

Ask a Question