Reasons To Have A Koi Pond

Reaction score
Whether you only wish to enjoy having the luxury of beautiful Koi Fish in your pond or only wish to increase the value of your property, Koi ponds can be therapeutic and provide a healthy eco-system in your own backyard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So true. After a hard days work, go home, sit on the patio next to the pond. Looking at the fabulous fish, watching them swim, coming up to greet you. It don't get any better than that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly many ponds are filled in when you sell up because of parents with youngsters or people to old and frial to keep them anymore .
We have a friend called Max who runs the UK's only koi and goldfish rescue service and more and more rescues are snowing her under at the moment her last few were elderly people one old lady had aproximately 6 ponds in her grounds .
Many she reports has to do with child saftey toddlers who dont understand the danger a pond can bring .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have a place close by that will take your fish at the end of summer. Not many people agree with this practice. A lot of the elderly just have a small pond and want the joy the fish bring them, but not the hassle of winterizing the pond. So they take the fish back empty the pond and buy again the next Spring. We have 5 grand kids, never had a problem with them and the pond. They were taught from the beginning to be careful around it. Plus, we never left them unattended while they were little.
If we ever sold our house, the fish would go with us .... My Gracie would be sad without me ... :(

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, it's a bit of a misnomer stating a pond will increase property values. It all depends on the owner. If the new owners ever have plans to rent the property, then the liability insurance is insane for simply having a pond.

Pond maintenance cost time. Most of us, cleaning the filter once a week doesn't seem like a big deal, but, for people that have 2 jobs or even just 1 job working 60+ hours a week, just spending a hour or two to do pond maintenance is a big deal. This is why it is so important to build the filtration so that you can literally leave it for a month without the pond ending up being in a bad way.

I love it for the sound of water, much more so than the fish, and just looking at it helps ease my mind to contemplate the remainder of the day and reflect upon what the day presented me. My area doesn't hear much water from rain or anything like it except for when the shower is turned on or going by a sprinkler system.

Also, if you're a gardener in an area with very hard water. then a fish pond is the cheapest way to help acidify the water, also adds various other nutrients, to help your garden yield more. Heh, some chemical applicators in my area are actually starting to capture rain water since rain is more acidic that allows the chemicals to be more readily absorbed by the plants or bugs. ((for those that don't know, I'm a dirt love'n farmer))

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Whether you only wish to enjoy having the luxury of beautiful Koi Fish in your pond or only wish to increase the value of your property, Koi ponds can be therapeutic and provide a healthy eco-system in your own backyard.
Welcome to the Forum!
Where in So Cal are you!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeautumn54.gif
Koi-Pond-King

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes welcome Koi Pond king

I many reason
I love nature and Animals of all kinds
love the peace of mind the pond gives me
Don't worry about the propertiy value becuase if I move the ponds and my baby's come with me, No way I leave them in the hands of strangers :banana: :razz:

So the only way someone gets them is when I pass and that is no time soon. :razz:

Ruben M.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

Pond king I fully agree with what you are saying in that koi are theraputic and can acctually help in helping the soul . I had lots of problems due to childhood in that my first stepfather was a drunken idiot who used to take it out on both my mother and myself .
They took me from making a mess out of my live to where we are today .
We owe our koi alott

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question