Rebar for concrete

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mark,
is there any particular reason for choosing concrete? Most ponds are simply lined with a protective liner and an EDPM liner. It's far less work and no issues with settling/cracking over time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Not really CeeJay it's just my preference. Having said that I am not 100% decided yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I'm by far a concrete expert, a 12 X 8 pond bottom is going to need remesh and possibly rebar. Concrete is expensive, going cheap on reinforcement doesn't seem a good strategy, if you can't afford to do it right, you're unlikely to be able to afford redoing it later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not trying to go cheap budge I'm just trying to do it right hence the question.

Reaction score
Yes you would want to use rebar reinforcing in a concrete pond of just about any size to have the best hope that it won't crack.
Are you planning an above or below ground pond?
As CeeJay indicated liner ponds are usually simpler and less expensive to build and easier to fix or change once completed. Take a hint from the backyard swimming pool industry, for simplicity and reliability almost all of them are build with liners these days. Having said that there are still people building some concrete ponds and swimming, however, you'll find most of them are built by contractors who do it for a living and know exactly how much rebar to use to reinforce the concrete, and they know the exact type of concrete mix to use for maximum strength.
If you have little or no experience and plan to do it all yourself the safest route is to go with a liner even if you plan on building an above ground pond out of concrete or concrete blocks you should still consider using a liner inside the form.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks M_W. The pond will be below ground level. I hear everything you are saying and although I am being swayed towards a liner I am still not decided.

My problem is I don't like the look of a liner. I much prefer a pond that has been concreted, just my preference.

Either way I will 100% do it myself. A friend of mine once said to me "Mark I know you like DIY but you can't just pick up a trowel and plaster you need a pro". Since then I have plastered, rendered, knocked down the odd wall and finally built an extension to my house. Floors, walls, ceilings, roof, entirely on my own (less electrics) and it's still standing.

Where there is a way there is an expert who wills how it you.

How often do well made concrete ponds leak?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
You seem to really know your stuff Meyer but that doesn't really answer anything. The Romans were making concrete pools in the 1800's and they are still being made today so there must be some good somewhere.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You seem to really know your stuff Meyer but that doesn't really answer anything. The Romans were making concrete pools in the 1800's and they are still being made today so there must be some good somewhere.

Before the introduction of membrane liners as a way to construct pools, concrete was basically the only material available for construction. And rest assured, many did and still develop leaks. I have personally seen ponds constructed with 6" reinforced walls crack and leak.
Concrete is still use in creating formal water features such as fountains and reflecting pools, but membrane liners are typically utilized for backyard ponds. Polyurethane is beginning to make its mark as the 'go-to' method as it is even better than membrane liners as far as durability.
If you are seeking a more formal look for your pond, then go with concrete. Otherwise, a membrane liner is really the overall better choice.

Reaction score
If you decide on the concrete, check in to "pond shield", specifically designed to be installed as a "liquid liner" to seal the concrete. I believe it comes in several colors. You still will have the possibility of cracks down the road and leakage, but this will help seal concrete once cured.
It is very popular with the DIY crowd when building large plywood fish tanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't question the leaks at all Meyer I am sure they do. I aim to have my pond as natural looking as possible.

As stupid as it may sound I only have one thing stopping me using a liner. The creases.... I can't stand them! :)Seriously, I find them so bad I would rather be without a pond. Maybe I'm a bit OCD!!

If I can come up with a way of hiding the creases at the top of the pond then I will go with the liner. If not I will cement it. Even if it means digging it up and doing it again... and again... and again... and... well I think you've got the message.

Check my shirt out...... No creases. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
If you decide on the concrete, check in to "pond shield", specifically designed to be installed as a "liquid liner" to seal the concrete. I believe it comes in several colors. You still will have the possibility of cracks down the road and leakage, but this will help seal concrete once cured.
It is very popular with the DIY crowd when building large plywood fish tanks.

I have looked at many sealants Tahoe but I don't think I have seen that one. I will have a look thank you. The more I read though the more I think that sealants are only as good as the concrete you put them on. POSSIBLY a bit of a money spinner in some ways?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't question the leaks at all Meyer I am sure they do. I aim to have my pond as natural looking as possible.

As stupid as it may sound I only have one thing stopping me using a liner. The creases.... I can't stand them! :)Seriously, I find them so bad I would rather be without a pond. Maybe I'm a bit OCD!!

If I can come up with a way of hiding the creases at the top of the pond then I will go with the liner. If not I will cement it. Even if it means digging it up and doing it again... and again... and again... and... well I think you've got the message.

Check my shirt out...... No creases. ;)

Folds and creases in pond liner are quickly hidden and camouflaged by algae growth, which you want. The same folds and creases can be hidden around the ponds perimeter with rock or other creative methods.

I appreciate the fact that you are particular about your attire, but I would venture to guess that you are not going to be wearing a shirt tailored from pond liner any time soon.;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Folds and creases in pond liner are quickly hidden and camouflaged by algae growth, which you want. The same folds and creases can be hidden around the ponds perimeter with rock or other creative methods.

I appreciate the fact that you are particular about your attire, but I would venture to guess that you are not going to be wearing a shirt tailored from pond liner any time soon.;)

Not if I can't find a way of getting the creases out! :)

Ask a Question