Rebuild

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I am new to pond building. I bought a prefabbed pond this past Spring before I knew better. It is about 175 gallons and 18" deep. So I brought my fish into the basement for the Winter. I pumped their water into a 150 gallon tub used for farm animals drinking.
Now my questions are:
I am going to build a much bigger pond. I am thinking 14' long x 8' at one end x 11' at the other end. How deep should I make this?
Should I wait till Spring or do it now and get them back out before Winter. I live in Connecticut?
Can I build it and put a decent patio stone edging around the top ( I have a mish mash of them here then in the Spring redo the edging? I am not sure what I want my final look to be as far as that goes and I am going to build a mini waterfall on one end.

Ready set go with suggestions!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Depends on when winter starts for you.
I would spend the winter planning what you want and gathering equipment and materials.
Do you want a dedicated koi pond or a garden pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and depends also what kind of fish you have .But filters and liner and aerator and good pump are needed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group!
I'd dig the new pond at least 3' or 4' deep, no matter where you leave and what kind of fish you plan on keeping, cause many ponders start out with goldfish and then add koi...as @MitchM suggested I would wait till Spring to actually start the digging, and use this time to research and plan, you be amazed how many times you'll change your mind about things the more you learn
Good luck! :)

Ask a Question