Recap


Joined
Apr 12, 2021
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Barcelona
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Spain
Hello, I was about to post in the illness and disease sub but I thought better start here providing a bit of info on how I got till here.
I moved in September to a new house, has a garden and there was the abandoned pond.
It was filled about half capacity with a dark black water and had been abandoned for years. Being worried about having a body of water and attracting mosquitoes (leishmaniasis) I emptied and cleaned it. Fast forward a few weeks later I got the knack of starting back the pond, been an absolute beginner I got myself to YouTube and some online info and started my journey.

The pond is composed of two separate small ponds connected trough a small "tunnel". Since it has a irregular form I don't know the exact capacity it holds, I think it may be around the 1000lt mark.
I built up a DIY filter out of some online guides, one day I may do a separate post about it. It's composed of coarse foam,hard green kitchen sponge, softer sponge, filter wool, volcanic gravel and for media I have 1kg of ceramic cylinder, a bunch of small PVC corrugated pipe and those plastic balls with sponge inside. Not gonna lie, had to rearrange it a few times till it started filtering water properly. Main issue was water entering at the top and coming out from the bottom so I reverted the flow, now water comes from the bottom and once it reaches the upper part with the media it goes out. I use a 1500lt/h pump btw.

I went to my local shop to get some bacteria for starting out and I got the ones that come in powder, i think that was an issue, I'll explain.
I got 8 shubunkin and 7 comets, one of the shubunkin has some wound or illness wich I'll explain on the proper post.
Also a yellow comet, and an orange one, those two got what I thought was ammonia burns related to the bacteria not growing, the orange one it's almost black and I feel really ashamed of it... possibly because those powders aren't so good, possibly because the filter didn't have a big water flow. I corrected the water flow as mentioned and bought more bacteria. This time I went with these ones:

So far water levels seems to be fine now, at least the ammonia and nitrites and nitrates wich I test a few times a day since I got really concerned with the sick fishies :(
PH ranges from 7,5 to 8,5, I think it may be high
I do water changes on a weekly basis (first ones I took water from the surface, now I siphon it with a DIY hose+funnel) of 20% of capacity less or more. I use Aqua Safe, at first I filled a 40l bucket with the proper quantity of Aqua Safe but not gonna lie, lately I been tossing it in an arch in front of the hose when I refill.
For plants I have a few lilypads, papirus, vallisneria and a bright green one that I don't know the name.
If you made it till here cheers and thanks for your time!!!
I'll leave a few pictures so you get the idea. Feel free to give advice and ask any questions!
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
2,704
Reaction score
1,643
Location
Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's fine to toss the dechlorinator into the pond with the garden hose running. You don't need to premix it. I use a cheap digital water meter on the end of my hose to make sure I'm adding the proper amount of dechlorinator per gallon.
The water meter was under $20 (U.S.) on Amazon. Money well spent and only 20 bucks! An invaluable tool in my opinion.

More of my opinion...
Some use it, but I think it's a waste of money to buy "bacteria" in a bottle or powder. Just wait for your pond to cycle naturally. Nature will do it for you.
 

Top