Recent homebuyer with new pond!

L

LaurenV

Hi!

I recently bought an estate that has a pond in the yard in Pittsburgh, PA. I wasn’t looking for a pond (we were looking for a garage, and the house had a great one!), but I think it’s great so far.

It has three pumps—two that feed two smaller pools that tumble into a waterfall, and one for a little fountain. There are about 50 goldfish living in the main pond and they seem happy.

I have had some problems bringing the pond to life for spring. The woman who owned the house passed away in November and her family made sure to put a little pondmaster heater in it so the fish didn't die, but I have had no one to talk to about it to make sure I'm doing things right. When I found the pumps, the lines were cracked and I had to repair them. Then we had a flash flood which filled the upper pools with sediment and gravel and swapped a lot of water out of the main pool. I’ve been working on cleaning those out the last few evenings, and noticed some weird tapeworm-looking guys and other bug life. I’m sure there is a lot of sediment in the main pond as well. I have been leaving the pumps off to keep the mess contained, but I guess I’m overwhelmed.

I digress! Hi, happy to be here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
hi there Lauren, welcome to the group
post some pictures so we can better visualize

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
koi3.gif
Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @LaurenV I agree with @Angel about the pump. You should turn it back on so the water can be filtered and circulated. Please post pictures of your pond as well so the members can help as much as possible.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!
Post photos we will try to help you

L

LaurenV

Here’s a pic from when I found the cracked lines and before I got everything flowing:
FD5CDAF7-B089-4119-9134-996C895DF297.jpeg
Also, let me correct myself. The waterfall pumps are off, but the fountain pump is on. I’m not trying to kill the lil fish guys.
8902DCC9-83BE-4F1F-8D36-5ABAAD46E6F5.jpeg

Here is a pic of the waterfall working. I need to get more rocks to cover the exposed liner.

Re: the horsehair worm, they didn’t look like that and I didn’t snag a pic. If I see another I’ll try to get one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Re: the horsehair worm, they didn’t look like that and I didn’t snag a pic. If I see another I’ll try to get one.

most common in ponds. not a big deal to worry about.

Ask a Question