recent koi purchaser and 1 casuality already

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all:

I recently received my shipment of small 3-4 inch koi in a 10 pack and acclimated them yesterday to the pond as per instructions. They all seemed to have adjusted and this am I found one floating belly up. It had small helminths coming out of its gills, rest seem fine I am hoping to get a replacement.
yellow koi20200920_100948.jpg

Any thoughts or advise or preventatives I can be doing ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Let's start with the basics - how big is your pond? Is this an established pond or a new pond? Do you have other fish? Do you do water testing?

I assume a "helminth" is a worm? Are you sure they were worms? Did they appear to be alive? That fish appears to have several open wounds on it's side - do you know how that happened?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More information about your pond would be helpful. Also, those look like wounds. Could this have been a predator attack? Or are there sharp surfaces in the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's start with the basics - how big is your pond? Is this an established pond or a new pond? Do you have other fish? Do you do water testing?

I assume a "helminth" is a worm? Are you sure they were worms? Did they appear to be alive? That fish appears to have several open wounds on it's side - do you know how that happened?

Reaction score
Country
United States
its about a 1000 gallon freshwater pond. No other fish seem to be affected at this point and there are some other smaller goldfish in it.
I recently have been having racoons show up and been trapping them and relocating them.

I havent tested the water yet as I am so new to this I am not sure what that would involve....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I agree with raccoon injury, and am also very sorry for the loss of one of your new babies. However... 1000 gallons is a rather small pond for 10 koi. You will either need to very carefully manage your water conditions or I would expect that you will need to 'rehome' some of those koi in the future.

Regarding monitoring/testing the water conditions -- Get an API liquid test kit that includes ammonia, nitrites, pH, and nitrates. Also (as a separate kit) get one that measures kh (will also include gh, but that's probably less critical) Depending on the age of your pond, I'd suggest testing regularly - once a week or so - until you make sure conditions are stabilized & you understand the natural fluctuations of your pond (ie - I need to monitor kh after a heavy rainfall in my pond)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My guess is also the raccoon got a good swipe at this one. I'm sorry to see that, but nature is that way sometimes.

I'll second @BKHpondcritters - don't replace that fish and start thinking about maybe finding new homes for a few of the others. You could keep a couple of koi, but even nine is too many for your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My guess is also the raccoon got a good swipe at this one. I'm sorry to see that, but nature is that way sometimes.

I'll second @BKHpondcritters - don't replace that fish and start thinking about maybe finding new homes for a few of the others. You could keep a couple of koi, but even nine is too many for your pond.
I think over time mother nature will take her course, I wont replace my lost one. Thanks for the advice!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with raccoon injury, and am also very sorry for the loss of one of your new babies. However... 1000 gallons is a rather small pond for 10 koi. You will either need to very carefully manage your water conditions or I would expect that you will need to 'rehome' some of those koi in the future.

Regarding monitoring/testing the water conditions -- Get an API liquid test kit that includes ammonia, nitrites, pH, and nitrates. Also (as a separate kit) get one that measures kh (will also include gh, but that's probably less critical) Depending on the age of your pond, I'd suggest testing regularly - once a week or so - until you make sure conditions are stabilized & you understand the natural fluctuations of your pond (ie - I need to monitor kh after a heavy rainfall in my pond)

Ask a Question