Recommend me a QUIET air pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t really know how to choose an air pump, but I know that I want one that is really quiet. Have seen a lot that sound really obnoxious.

I put 20’ of 5/8” soaker house at the bottom of my pond with the idea that air will escape along the whole length of the tube and be less visible than a typical diffuser boiling the water in one spot.

Depth is 4.5’.

No idea what size pump I need or types/brands to look at.

Can you guide me?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have my air pump in a little "house" I built out of scrap wood.
The roof is removeable for quick access.
I left a slot at the top of the side walls where they meet the roof for the air lines and power cord pass through.

Maybe something like that would help muffle any noise, plus it protects the air pump from the elements.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nitto piston 45 or 28 i have the 45 and 120 been running the 45 for 4 years the 120 i only use in the winter id go with the 28 as any bubbles distort the surface but i can't guarantee it wont just enter your drip hose and dump out at the start. It may need a second small air line inside it to divert the water through out . Who knows its uncharted territory

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@poconojoe: That's a good idea. I could do a little faux boulder for it or find somewhere to tuck it away. I've just seen some really noisy ones so I'm eager to get it far away from the pond. Don't really want to hear it anywhere in the yard, though.

@GBBUDD: Nitto is the manufacturer or Medo pumps, yes? I've read that Medo makes some high quality air pumps. And I think the "linear" pumps are supposed to be the quietest? And yes, this is an experiment. If it doesn't work, I'll just do a traditional air stone somewhere out of the way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like your idea as a potential id add tge line inside the line so you can regulate the pressure a bit better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@poconojoe: That's a good idea. I could do a little faux boulder for it or find somewhere to tuck it away. I've just seen some really noisy ones so I'm eager to get it far away from the pond. Don't really want to hear it anywhere in the yard, though.

@GBBUDD: Nitto is the manufacturer or Medo pumps, yes? I've read that Medo makes some high quality air pumps. And I think the "linear" pumps are supposed to be the quietest? And yes, this is an experiment. If it doesn't work, I'll just do a traditional air stone somewhere out of the way.
I took one of those faux rocks and cut a slot for the cord, to help hide the buzzing sound. Too, I found once you have waterfalls, that sound helps drown out others. Leave some sort of ventilation if you cover so in the summer, it doesn't overheat. I know my aerator pump gets pretty hot, though I've read they tend that way. At least the ones I've been buying/using.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
More I think about it I like the idea a lot for a very small pump just giving off a bubble here and there. But you do have another issue to think about before you get done. What are you doing for the preditors . If it were me I'd use that dump trailer and go find some drift wood that long and create a lean to over the pond so your not looking through the net.
And on that thought having lots of bubbles can distort the water so the birds dont se the fish flying by

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 4
I've been using this one since 2013 it runs all winter in my basement. Can barely hear it upstairs put it in a dog house and it would be silent.
I just use a distribution manifold and weight it down with a nylon bag of rocks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a Medo for my pond after reading many great online reviews. Some say it's much quieter than they expected.

Though this is my first pond air pump, I agree with what others said about putting it under some kind of cover. I had one of the fake rock covers over a very noisy pond pump at my old house. The difference with the cover on/off was huge. With the cover off you could hear the pump all over the yard. With the cover on you had to be close to to detect it over the noise of the falls. On the build I'm doing now, I'm building a case around the water pump and air pump with a separator between them. I plan to put it close to the falls with a ventilation duct that can be regulated on either side.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have the Aquascape Pro air pump - that may not be the actual name, but it's incredibly quiet. It sits directly on the ground under a clay pot. Until you get about a foot away you can't hear it at all, and then it's just a gentle hum.

Ask a Question