Recommendation for a pump

Reaction score
I am redoing my whole setup and looking for recommendation for a pump that is not going to be in a skimmer but just sit in the pond covered by a flat rock on top only to be invisible. It needs to run about 4,500 gph, be pretty energy effective and be able to run a waterfall that is about 6 feet up and has a filter up on top. Reliability is a factor of course. I would rather spend a bit more now than do it early. I had a Cal pump magnetic pump (tall black plastic thing) and the piece of crap lasted 8 months.

Reaction score
I have a Flotec pump. It is an industrial pump that has a 1250GPH capacity. I found it at Home Depot for $70. I have not heard good things about the pumps made for ponds, but I have never used one.
Just be careful if it is going to sit on the bottom, it should be raised slightly because if the bottom is flat, it will suck straight on to the liner and get very hot very quickly by not circulating any water. You may want to set it on top of a brick or two.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i bought a laguna max flo 4200 ,,,its only160 watts......with the 6 ft head it would pump 2600 gal ph....170$ on ebay

Reaction score
That laguna actually looks great, nice wattage, great head strength, and really nice low profile. But $170? $210 is the cheapest I can find on ebay. Must have been a great deal :goldfish: But $210 is not bad at all.

How about a filter? I have thought about doing my own, just not sure if I am handy enough. I have room behind the waterfall top to put one in the ground, just dont know which way to go.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
keep looking,the price vary on the pump,,,the watts are excellent on this pump......on the filter build a 55 gal drum filter...its not rocket science...the plans are on this forum

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There is a knock off Laguna pump on Harbor Freight. i have bee using one for almost a year. Less than $100.00.

Reaction score
DrCase said:
keep looking,the price vary on the pump,,,the watts are excellent on this pump......on the filter build a 55 gal drum filter...its not rocket science...the plans are on this forum

Looked at the plants, looks easy enough. The bucket is all cut up, and so is the pvc, that is just for water movement right? The bucket is there to hold the crate? Where does one get that 55g drum?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i used a milk crate, on my first filter,,the bucket does the same thing cut up to let water flow in all directions,,,,,my drums were salt drums from ag strips,,,on windy days some blow close to the highway

Reaction score
paradise said:
Where does one get that 55g drum?

If you know anyone who works in a factory or a place where they buy liquids in bulk, they usually have them and will give them away. Just be careful with what they contained originally and rinse them out VERY thoroughly.

I get mine from my work and they contained a harmless developer solution that was basically the same as liquid baking soda.

Ask a Question