Recommendation for designing a pond

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by R and T, Jul 6, 2015.

1. R and T

R and T

Hi,

I stumbled over this forum looking for information of how to design a new filtration, pump, skimmer, UV light, etc... Looks like a lot of good information! I have an existing pond 8 feet by 13.5 feet (free form) and 3 feet deep with a step along the inside about 1.5 feet down on the side. We are in bad need of a better pump and filtration, having a hard time with algae growth. We have gone through a couple of cheaper pumps. I am thinking of building my own filter, perhaps skimmer. I would like to get an external pump and add a waterfall. Currently only goldfish? in the pond.

Before asking a lot of questions, is there a good source, other than this forum, perhaps a book for planning a layout and perhaps making some of these items myself?

Thanks!

Randy

R and T, Jul 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. R and T

Big Lou

Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
    Howdy Randy.

Big Lou, Jul 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. R and T

tbendl T

Hi Randy, do you have pictures of your existing pond? It might help steer you in the direction you're looking for. Welcome to the forum!

tbendl, Jul 6, 2015
  4. R and T

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Hello and welcome, Randy! When I first came here/started my ponding journey, I, too was searching for "the book" that would answer all my questions. And believe it or not, all I wanted to do was provide a clean "watering hole" for my [non-aquatic] box turtles! Well, at least for me, there isn't one. Sorry! But do all kinds of searches on here and on other sites -- lots of information -- lot of varied opinions. Ask questions, and question the answers -- the best way to learn. And LOTS of DIY stuff!!

So, for your CURRENT situation: is your pond around 1500 - 2000 gallons? What size pump are you using now, and what about your filter set-up? Do you have fish? Do you have plants? Is the pond in direct sunlight? And where do you live -- what USDA zone? Do you test your water?

Mmathis, Jul 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question