Recommendation for online store

Reaction score
In the next few days I will be purchasing a new pump for my pond and would like a few suggestions on trusted and respected online stores that pond enthusiast use on this forum.

Kurt

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've used Pondmaster mag driven pumps and have one right now that's been in use for over 10yrs and working fine. I want to get a Laguna PT 353 Max Flo 4200 GPH Waterfall/Filter pump now tho as it has a much better power efficiency rating. I've made an offer for one on Ebay but don't know yet if I'll get it. Might have to up my bid! I like to look on Ebay and Amazon for the best deals and use the high quality sellers w/ the best ratings. DoDad here on this forum sells pumps I believe at Cascade Pond Supply also.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I bought my last 2 pumps off ebay
both Laguna Max flows ,Helps keeps my elect bill down
Keep looking ,There are a lot of different prices and shipping charges on the same pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I purchased my pumps through Webb's Water Gardens (http://www.webbsonline.com/), and was extremely happy with their service. The shippers in my area are professionals at finding a way to break items regardless of the packaging. The first two pumps I ordered arrived looking like they had been dropped off a skyscraper (I really want to know how it is possible to abuse a package so badly that you destroy the packing foam without damaging the shipping box?). Webb's immediately shipped out two more pumps for me - and they arrived in roughly the same condition. At this point I had four pumps with various broken pieces, but the motors were in good shape, so I asked them to just ship me the plastic cages and smaller pieces that I needed. These arrived intact and I was able to assemble two working pumps that have been working great for the past year. I've dealt with return policies through a number of companies, and these guys were great in helping me get up and running without waiting around for me to ship back the broken pieces first. Because of their great service, they are one of the few companies whose monthly emails do not immediately go on my spam blocker list.

To give you another idea of how bad my local carriers are, I went through this same process with another company when trying to order an external pump for one of our aquariums. The pump arrived without any sign of damage to the box, and the packing styrofoam was intact, but they had still managed to completely destroy the impellor and housing around the pump. I've heard from several people that the local carrier literally throws packages across the warehouse. I've also seen the back of their delivery trucks... boxes are not neatly stacked - they are tossed into the trucks. It's not unusual for me to see the same truck come down my street multiple times in one day, and I live on a side street back off of any main roads. I don't know how these guys ever get anything done!

[EDIT] Oh if you're looking for brands of pumps, rather that stores... I agree with the above... Laguna maxflow is what I'm using as well. Good solid pump and very easy to clean when the debris clogs up the impellors.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DrCase have you had any problems w/ your pumps getting broken due to shipping like Shdwdrgn has? I was wondering what would happen if you buy from Ebay and shipping breaks them, wonder if they would be as understanding as Webbs have been to Shdwdrgn? Webbs told me they would match prices that I find but don't know about matching Ebay bidding offers.

Reaction score
I purchased my Advantage plug n play filter from DoDad/Caskade.... awesome service! HIGHLY recomended!

Laguna is a much better option of MAG/Pondmaster. I have both.....

I use Premium Aquatics & Aquarium Specialty which are both more on the aquarium side of the hobby but since I have a wholesale account at both places.... I get as much as I can from them. I do not believe they carry Laguna.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
J.W - I actually used Webbs because they had the best price from Amazon. You might not save any money going with ebay, and if there's any problems, you most certainly wouldn't get as good of service. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing to remember is if there is a problem with the pump you will have to pay for shipping it back .I buy locally and makes it easier to return or get fixed if there is a problem with it .I always have 2 pumps one fails in the pond you are not rushing around trying to find a backup and spending big money to get it .When it is a 100 degrees out you don't want that to happen .My neighbor has had her pump fail 3 times and had to pay to send it to get repaired and lucky I had an extra pump to loan her .The you never knows will always happen when least expected .emergency back up worth it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
sissy - just to be clear, if you buy a *new* pump and there is a problem, you shouldn't have to pay return shipping for any decent online seller. I have refused to do business with any seller that expects me to pay the return shipping for defective products (I run into that a lot when buying computer parts).

The two-pump method is an excellent concept to point out to everyone! I also did this when designing my new pond. I had a couple occasions where the pump in my old pond stopped working, and the fish had no circulation for a couple days until I got the pump going again. Now I use two complete systems (pumps/pipes/filters), and I have no problems shutting off one to do maintenance without completely stopping the water flow. When designing a pond, is it absolutely critical to remember that this is a system that will be running for *years* and you have to assume that over that period, you will have a compete failure of every single component, and must plan for how to keep your fish healthy until that component is repaired.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They only let you at most times do the free send back in 30 or 90 days .I bought an aerator and contacted the seller 4 times before he got back to me and it was after the 30 days and he would not pay for return shipping .I sometimes think he waited and will never buy on e-bay again after that .i complained to e-bay on several occasions and now some of the retailors there refuse to sell to me including that one that was selling snails so I stopped buying from E- bay altogether .The results of there investigation into the whole thing resulted into nothing E-bay did nothing ,So never again for me .I guess there is good and bad on line and you have to just take your chances ,but thought E-bay was better ,guess i was wrong .I guess it would be much better to go to an online retailor you can trust .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
They only let you at most times do the free send back in 30 or 90 days .I bought an aerator and contacted the seller 4 times before he got back to me and it was after the 30 days and he would not pay for return shipping .I sometimes think he waited and will never buy on e-bay again after that .i complained to e-bay on several occasions and now some of the retailors there refuse to sell to me including that one that was selling snails so I stopped buying from E- bay altogether .The results of there investigation into the whole thing resulted into nothing E-bay did nothing ,So never again for me .I guess there is good and bad on line and you have to just take your chances ,but thought E-bay was better ,guess i was wrong .I guess it would be much better to go to an online retailor you can trust .
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Sissy. As you probably know by now, I sell Laguna as well as other brands. Most of my customers have little experience with or knowledge of pumps, so I'll unpack the one they like, show them how to clean it, set up any fountain or other accessories, etc. When they get home all they have to do is hook up to their hose, put it in the pond, and plug it in. Makes for happy customers who'll come back the next time they have a need or a question; you don't get THAT on E-Bay!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tHATS YOU and if I could by it locally I might reconsider but after the e-bay deal went wrong I consider all online a little risky .Here there is one pond store that sells pumps and they are high money .As meaning they raise the price theres start out at 500 dollars for a 1500 gph one and then it takes me an hour to get there .They are to expensive for my taste .Even 200 dollars is a little high for a retiree .I want my pond but have to stay in my budget .I used my money to help a family in need by a house and then I give to Gods pit crew for all disaster relief that is needed around the U.S. I also have to save funds for the local animal shelter so I can by food for the animals that need it .I feel better when I can help people help people and have always tried to do my fair share

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I was at Lowes and Home Depot earlier this week, and noticed that both stores have gotten a new line of pond pumps on their shelves. I didn't recognize a brand name, however they had various sizes of submersible pumps up to 5100gph for $250. For those who don't have a HARO in their neighborhood, perhaps someone would be interested enough to check into these and see if a brand name can be identified? If the quality is good, then the price is great, and may be a good option for a lot of folks here.

Ask a Question