Recommendation for sealant?

Reaction score
I need a recommendation for a water proof sealant.

I've added a 2nd pond to my backyard. The deepest section of this pond is 3 1/2 feet but it rises a half foot above the surface. I used paving stones around the perimeter and instead of mortar I used "gorilla glue" which is holding quite nicely.

The 2nd pond feeds into a creek which then feeds into the main pond.

The problem is that the water tumbling from the 2nd pond into the creek is splashing over the creek's liner. A paving stone was glued over the liner but the water is going over the liner and under the stone.

Over time this results in water loss.

I would rather not have to wedge a knife under the paving stone to cut it loose from the glue. I'm thinking of applying a sealant along the top of the liner. After sealing the liner, I'll hide it behind pond rocks.

I am specifically thinking of using aquarium sealant but thought I would check here to see if anyone had a different suggestion.

Does anyone have any constructive thoughts?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Urethane if you can cure it without water carrying it into the population. Your fish may not like that. Cure time is about a day. They also make waterfall foam and I know I have seen it at Home Depot in the pond section. It is expensive but should work fast and safe.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Urethane if you can cure it without water carrying it into the population. Your fish may not like that. Cure time is about a day. They also make waterfall foam and I know I have seen it at Home Depot in the pond section. It is expensive but should work fast and safe.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I've heard about waterfall foam but have never used it. I did not know that Home Depot carries it. I will certainly have to go look since there's a Home Depot within two miles of my home.

Black foam would certainly be preferable to urethane. I'm not sure if it would be better than an aquarium sealant but I suspect it'd go on a lot easier.

The funny thing is that I did a 24 hour test run on the new pond and creek before I glued anything down. Everything was working fine until I decided to add rocks to conceal the pond liner in the creek.

Big mistake!

Adding the rocks displaced the water and raised the level of the creek. This resulted in an overflow.

Leaving the creek "as is" would not be a problem save for the fact that the black liner doesn't look very "natural."

One of the neat things about living in rural Arizona is that this place is a veritable "goldmine" for rocks. Rocks of every description abound along the road ... igneous ... metamorphic ... and sedimentary. My first pond has an attractive perimeter of red and golden rocks and boulders.

The new pond is surrounded by red paving stones.

It'd be a pity if I had to leave the black liner exposed in the creek as this would mar the overall aesthetic effect.

Reaction score
I went to Home Depot and found out that waterfall foam is only sold in the "big" Home Depots in larger metropolitan areas. Since I don't want to drive three hours round trip to Tucson, I went looking for an alternative and found something called "Plumber's Goop." I kid you not, that's what it's called.

Plumber's Goop is very much like the aquariums sealant I was originally planning to use, so I bought the goop and applied it. After letting it cure for 24 hours, I'll test it and see how it holds.

I think the goop will work fine. It's oozed all over the crack between the liner and the paving stone. Once it's rock hard, I think the creek will again be operational.

:bowdown:

Reaction score
Hey Chef Dave,

I have used many varieties of GOOP throughout the years. For example, I used Plumbers Goop to patch a hole in my pond last year.....many years ago I used Household Goop to patch a hole in my waterbed and I've even used Shoe Goop to glue the sole back on my daughter's sandal. I have always been pleased with the results. I hope your experience with it is just as good.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
goop brand adhesives will fix just about anything...i would of used their contact cement; same consistancy (gel) as all their other adhesives but sets on contact. put it on both surfaces...wait a few minutes and press together ..DONE!!

Reaction score
I must admit that I'm sold on goop.

Plumber's Goop is more runny than aquarium sealant but in my situation, this was a GOOD THING. The runny sealant spread out and effectively sealed the area between the liner and the paving stone.

I applied it yesterday after work and 24 hours later, the cured goop was firm to the touch. I turned on the pump, water overflowed into the creek bed. It's been a couple of hours and the water level is holding. I don't appear to have any leaks!

Yee-haw!

Now if I could only find some financial goop to help fix the state economy ...

Ask a Question