Recommendations for fish types and numbers for my pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for any advice on what fish (if any) would suit my pond. I have never kept Pond fish before, though I have kept fancy goldfish for many years.

I have a ring-shaped pond with a central paved area, via a bridge. It it approximately 2,500l. It is a ≈ 60cm wide ring , ≈40cm deep and an outside diameter of 410cm.

It has a new Oase filtral 9000 filter/pump with an additional airline to add oxygen.

I am interested in the possibilities of adding some fish. It isn’t deep enough for goldfish, but I was wondering about either Rudd, or Sticklebacks.. or anything other suggestions?

It has previously suffered with Duckweed, though this is by and large under control (so anyone that helps keep this down is a bonus).

What species would suit this pond in this pond? Would you mix species? How many? Are there any other considerations/additions to the pond I should be thinking about.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

(edited to attach pictures)

IMG-0689-small - Copy.jpg
IMG-0692-small - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why do you think it's not deep enough for goldfish? It's not ideal at about 15 inches, but I'm not sure that wouldn't be true for other fish as well. I suppose tiny fish like Rosie reds might be better, but I've seen lots of goldfish ponds that aren't much deeper than yours.

What's your weather like? Do you get cold winters? Freezing would be a concern for sure in a shallow pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593031943023.gif
@blink
Yep if that water does not freeze solid and you can keep a hole open if it ice's over some than I don't know why you can keep goldfish. I prefer Shubunkin goldfish myself. Neat patterns and colors. That's a very nice pond by the way!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was worried by the depth and width for larger fish as if they could only swim round and round, no space to turn about. as the circular channel is approx 2ft wide. And I have no space for another pond so don't want to risk getting someone who outgrows their environment. (I have done this with aquariums before)

Are there any rules for the numbers of fish in a pond? e.g. Ive always worked on at least 75 litres per fancy goldfish for my aquariums.

If this was your pond and you were just starting out what would you get?

(edited: re freezing, It doesn't freeze completely solid ever. My other nature pond is very well crammed with frogs/snails/plants/ etc. I think the average for the UK is 45-35'F with a few days below freezing)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know of several people who have fancy goldfish in outside ponds. That depth would be perfect for them. If it gets really cold where you are, you can always put some sort of cover over it in winter that would prevent it from freezing and keep the water warmer.

Beautiful pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would Shubunkin really be ok in this pond?

Its only 60cm ( 23.6 inch) wide, and they can grow to 45cm (17.7 inch), so wouldn't have much space to turn around, though they have a long distance to swim round. And I've read they need about 70cm (27.5 inch) deep, and mines only 40cm (15.7 inch) deep..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My shubunkin never got anywhere close to 18". I thought that was crazy so I had to look it up and indeed, a few sites state 9"-18". Mine are many years old and are probably only about 9"-10" the most.
So, maybe I was wrong. Shubunkin may not be good for you. Sorry for that.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd love to have shubunkins, or any fancy. But I need to find a fish that has a turning circle of either 20 inch or 150 inch, as there isn't much in-between. I've not managed to find any info in the affects of a ring shaped pond on fish behavior/happiness.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I would get shubunkin colored fan tails, they stay small and would do fine in your pond. I have some in my 300 gallon hot tub pond.

Not the best pictures, taken under water in the hot tub.
20200405_070845.jpg
20200405_070853.jpg
20200405_070903.jpg
20200405_070926.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'd love to have shubunkins, or any fancy. But I need to find a fish that has a turning circle of either 20 inch or 150 inch, as there isn't much in-between. I've not managed to find any info in the affects of a ring shaped pond on fish behavior/happiness.
I have nothing to add regarding the appropriateness of any variety of goldfish for your uniquely shaped pond, but... I just want to say **Thank You** for really thinking through the 'happiness' of your fish in regards to the environment you have to offer them. So many people just get fish & plop them into whatever water holding feature they have at their disposal with pretty much no regard for the long term plan. Well done!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Has it had fish in it yet? You may want to consider doing a fishless cycle using ammonium chloride, Dr Tim’s is a brand, not sure what is available where you live. It takes about 6 weeks to cycle but is much less stressful than just adding the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for all your feedback. I have learnt my lesson many years ago about inappropriate setups.. I got my first fancy fantail 20 years ago and had her in a 30l (6 gal) round bowl and quickly learnt that wan't going to work. (Luckily she did go on to live a further 10 years)

Thank you IPA for the advice on ammonium chloride. I can only find Dr Tims in pond size bottles, but this looks like it might be very similar.

:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've never heard of a shubunkin getting to be 18 inches long. Ours are 8 years old and maybe 8 inches, if you count all the way to the end of the tail!

Ask a Question