recommendations on UV

Reaction score
I have a 2900 gallon pond with a laguna 2900 pump.
with 1.5" flex pvc. feeding into a 150 gallon RM trough. need recommendations on a decent submersible UV.

thanks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the final product of a biofilter is nitrates. nitrates are food for plants..alge is a plant. therefore adding lots of plants can really help keep alge under control. by using the nitrates that would otherwise feed the alge. lillies, hiacynth, lettuce, frog bit,or any other plants that supply surface coverage are the best for alge control in the fact that they also block out sunlight as well as use the nutrients. not to mention shade and some security (hiding spots) for the fish against preditors. that said i use a u.v myself because alge starts before my plants get time to take off,or i am able to buy any here..no places stock them 'til mid May, because its too hard to keep them alive still. by the time my plants are going good my green water is long gone and my u.v has done its work for the year. my pond is in full sun most of the day. this year my koi ate almost all my lillies and my pond is still clear. i might have 5% surface coverage, when it really should be 50% +.

Reaction score
Here I go again touting the Shade Sail, but not without good reason. The Shade Sail or any other shade structure serves a two fold purpose dramatically keeps the algae growth down and keeps water temperatures at least 10 degrees cooler. I do have a Luguna 55 watt UV that I could have saved my money on if I had experienced the Shade Sail first. Plants do provide shade but not as effective as "off the water" shade.

BTW my pond plants do great in the filtered shade.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
Here I go again touting the Shade Sail, but not without good reason. The Shade Sail or any other shade structure serves a two fold purpose dramatically keeps the algae growth down and keeps water temperatures at least 10 degrees cooler. I do have a Luguna 55 watt UV that I could have saved my money on if I had experienced the Shade Sail first. Plants do provide shade but not as effective as "off the water" shade.

BTW my pond plants do great in the filtered shade.

i have to agree with pondmaster my pond has been much better since i put up a sail

Ask a Question