Recommended online place to purchase koi?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I would like to add a few more colorful butterfly koi (5"-8") to my pond as spring has finally arrived here in Vermont. Who do you recommend for an online source? Quality, selection, healthy (no apparent diseases), price, etc. I do not have a local source near me.

Thanks much for your time and suggestions/guidance.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’ve bought from Next day koi, Blackwater creek koi farm and kloubec koi. Never had any issues with any of them.

If you haven’t dealt with ordering fish online, I wouldn’t do the normal acclimation process. If temps are close, I would just dump the fish in, if large temp difference float the bag for 15 minutes then release.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@hobie61 - how big is your pond? How many fish do you have? I ask because you say "small koi" - there really are no "small koi", just young koi. Eventually they all get big, bigger or really really big!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn i have seen some fish from ndk as well as a couple i had got that were admittedly smaller and i didn't know if it would survive the 14 day guarantee .

Lately i have purchased from koi market but at the moment they are doing personal shopper or a online live sale . similar to an auction but its who ever speaks out first will get the fish. They are on the higher end of quality koi.

then there is Sacramento koi and Champion Nishikigoi. I JUST ORDERED ONE FROM KLOUBEC we'll see in a couple weeks what that looks like

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn i have seen some fish from ndk as well as a couple i had got that were admittedly smaller and i didn't know if it would survive the 14 day guarantee .

Lately i have purchased from koi market but at the moment they are doing personal shopper or a online live sale . similar to an auction but its who ever speaks out first will get the fish. They are on the higher end of quality koi.

then there is Sacramento koi and Champion Nishikigoi. I JUST ORDERED ONE FROM KLOUBEC we'll see in a couple weeks what that looks like
Yeah have gotten some small koi from NDK but haven’t had one die yet, other than being eaten Before I strung the net up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah have gotten some small koi from NDK but haven’t had one die yet, other than being eaten Before I strung the net up.
The addition is doing well i take it . Those canna have to be getting huge. Obviously jealous as cannas just don't have heat long enough up here to get that big or over winter

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes , everything is doing well. The cannas that survive get huge by the summer, but some years they make it other times they don’t. I had a cleopatra canna overwinter in the bog for the first time last year, will see if it makes it this year.

You getting some tetras again this year for schooling in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All ready ordered, but i have to delay the delivery, as the water here is just above 50.. The tetras are hard to see they usually hung around the bottom. It was cool seeing them when i'd go in but very hard to see even with crystal clear water . Those hokey colored fish at the pet stores that are neon,
"glow fish"" orange or green " when in the pond they just become noticeable. They school and multiply LIKE CRAZY , but next winter i'll catch a bunch and over winter them inside. The glow fish danios or tetras won't survive cold waters.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I JUST ORDERED ONE FROM KLOUBEC we'll see in a couple weeks what that looks
Just got 4 from kloubec yesterday, that arrived fine despite a delay. I really need to stop buying fish for my pond. It’s big but at some point it will get overwhelmed, but it is way too much fun getting new fish. thinking about catching all the goldfish except for the shubunkins out of the pond, but that is way too much work or at least in my mind it seems that way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
make a 5 gallon water jug trap. i have pulled a dozen gold fish babies and a couple koi this spring. cut the top off at the taper turn it around zip tie the top spun around and placed inside the bottom . it works great . dump some food inside and put it close to where you see them in the pond.

KOI market in ny has got me to buy 6 over the winter/ damn internet. they do a live showing of their fish all winter then they will hold them for you for months until your pond is ready for them. DANGEROUSLY ADDICTIVE . SATURDAYS ON FACEBOOK 11:00

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just got 4 from kloubec yesterday, that arrived fine despite a delay. I really need to stop buying fish for my pond. It’s big but at some point it will get overwhelmed, but it is way too much fun getting new fish. thinking about catching all the goldfish except for the shubunkins out of the pond, but that is way too much work or at least in my mind it seems that way.
make a 5 gallon water jug trap. i have pulled a dozen gold fish babies and a couple koi this spring. cut the top off at the taper turn it around zip tie the top spun around and placed inside the bottom . it works great . dump some food inside and put it close to where you see them in the pond.

KOI market in ny has got me to buy 6 over the winter/ damn internet. they do a live showing of their fish all winter then they will hold them for you for months until your pond is ready for them. DANGEROUSLY ADDICTIVE . SATURDAYS ON FACEBOOK 11:00

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

No, Don’t tell me where to purchase or look at more koi, I make it through most of the winter without looking at koi then February/March hits and I end up buying some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for the trap idea GBBudd! I have new babies already and some from last year I need to rehome. They are so hard to catch, especially since I’ve added more plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quite often the trap catches the babies or at least one in an hour or two as they go for the new food

Ask a Question