Recommended Pond Pump

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first pond. I am constructing a 5500 gallon pond with a pond liner (can adjust size if needed). Any recommendations on the following...

Pond Liner (Thickness and Brand)
External Pond Pump
Pond Filter
Pond Lights

Planning a waterfall that is about 7 feet high and 12 feet from the pump. Appreciate any suggestions. I want to go with an external pump because my kids are sure to try and play in it and want to avoid any possibility of electrocution.

Thanks,
JK

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1618506467811.gif
@jkmastro
Most use a 45 EPDM or HDPE. I have the EPDM and it is just fine. I bought one from a roofing company near us and one from an irrigation company years later when I dug a new bigger pond. Both were great and cheaper than from a pond store. Think the HDPE is stronger and will take more abuse by dog claws, deer, etc.
I only have a submersible pump tho so can't recommend an external.
I just use pre-filters on my pumps and I would most recommend making a bog and wish I had done that when I made my pond. Lots here have them.
Lights I gave up on as they stopped working underwater and now only work out of the water. I think I got them at Lowes or H-depot long ago. I hardly ever turn them on anymore.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. Do you know if an external
pool pump can be used for this purpose? If so, any thought on the bedded horse power? Would a 1.5 HP be sufficient?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Planning a waterfall that is about 7 feet high

That's going to be epic!

Think the HDPE is stronger and will take more abuse by dog claws, deer, etc.

I think you mean HDRPE? HDPE is not very tough or long lasting. It's the R (reinforced) that is the really tough stuff.

Do you know if an external pool pump can be used for this purpose?

Probably could. I don't know much about pool pumps, but don't believe they are rated for continuous duty, which you need for a pond. Don't think they're as energy efficient, either? Might waste a lot of electricity and burn the thing up.

Would a 1.5 HP be sufficient?

Think pretty much any pump will publish a pump curve showing the flow in GPH or GPM that you'll get at varying head heights. I would go based off of the pump curve instead of shooting for a specific horsepower.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. This is helpful. I will go with an actual pond pump.

Any suggestion on how to run the pump through a liner (in order to gravity feed the pump) without causing a leak in the liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. This is helpful. I will go with an actual pond pump.

Any suggestion on how to run the pump through a liner (in order to gravity feed the pump) without causing a leak in the liner?

If you're rocking your pond, it should be pretty easy to go over the liner with your plumbing and conceal it with boulders/plants. That's the safest way to do it.

If you really want to go through the liner, the best way I've seen it done is to reinforce the liner on both sides by gluing (EPDM) or heat welding (HDPE/HDRPE) a patch on each side of the liner where you want to make your penetration. This gives you a thick, sturdy area to place a penetration. Then, install a bulkhead fitting, applying silicone to the threads and around where the fitting contacts the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For your penetrations you'll want to use a bulked fitting. No ands is or butts about it.

A straight drop of 7 feet will create its own challenges. Water dropping from that height will undoubtedly have a good rate of evaporation. And worse is the splash. I'd guesstimate the water plashing into the pond from that height could splash 10 feet I have a little 1 foot fall and the splash can be three feet. You'll need a pretty wide pond or build the falls with the side walls like a horse shoe and the falls in the back allowing for only a splash forward.

I'd suggest going to you tube or I made a post on here titled some impressive pond builds this will give you some ideas what works and how parts may work for your design.. if I had my choice of a 7 foot drop in one fall or a stream bouncing between rocks and being diverted from side to side and between I'd go for the latter every time. Much easier to control as well. Just remember when mother nature makes her own she cuts through the earth making a. Depression . This is where most designs fail as they try to simply build on top and not inbetween the earth.

Reaction score
I would recommend that you go with an internal pump and put it in a skimmer. Pumps are better at pushing water than pulling it. A 1/ 3hp would be more than enough. I use a Tsurumi that I got off Amazon.

Ask a Question