Recurring Algae Problem

Reaction score
Last year we developed a very severe string algae problem. We bought a house w a koi pond and had no idea when it was last cleaned or anything. The owners told us little to no info so we didn't know much going in.

We had the pond completely cleaned out by a professional aquascaper (it was seriously more of a swamp than a pond) and he told us to start using Beneficial Bacteria and Barley Extract (liquid) to help keep the algae away and maintain a stable ecosystem. He guessed that our pond was 1,000 gallons so as per the directions - 10 squirts of each , let the waterfall run for 24 hours after dosage, yada yada yada. The brand were using is Aquascape.

I am seriously disgusted and dismayed that our algae problem is returning after all that work and $ throw into the pond. The chemicals were supposed to prevent string algae or so I thought but it looks like the problem is growing more and more. The pond was just cleaned 1 month ago and has become a seriously frustrating aspect of our yard and weekly lives.

We also have a bubbler system that we got to help provide extra airation. There are 4 air stones and 1 is a large circular one.

Or waterfall runs 12 hours a day, up from the 8 hrs a day the old owners recommended. The bubbler/air pump thing works all day long.

Other info: we have about 20ish fish but they're all babies. The largest is maybe 3 inches long.

Not sure if there's any other info I can provide. What else can we be doing to prevent this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Do you have filtration , or plants? String algae is actually good for your pond, but it can get out of hand and be unsightly. When I have excess string algae, I just pull it out by hand, or use a garden rake and gently twist it out.

I run my water fall, and filtration 24 / 7. It's good that you have an aerator :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The Pond Industry is fraught with 'Snake Oil' salesmen.
There are very, very few pond treatments available that prevent a problem, they usually claim to treat the symptoms and do not always even do that very well.

If you have an overabundance of filamentous (string) algae it is because of a high Phosphorus level in the pond's water. Sources of Phosphorus are uneaten fish food, fish feces, organic matter (primarily leaves and pollen), etc.
Complete water changes will solve the problem but will create other issues that may be detrimental to the health of the fish and other pond inhabitants. The overall most effective and safest way to control Phosphorus is through the use of a binder such as PhosOut. This product binds the Phosphorus ions together. They then sink to the bottom of the pond where they will remain completely inert until removed.

Reaction score
Do you have filtration , or plants? String algae is actually good for your pond, but it can get out of hand and be unsightly. When I have excess string algae, I just pull it out by hand, or use a garden rake and gently twist it out.

I run my water fall, and filtration 24 / 7. It's good that you have an aerator :)
Yes we have 3 bio-filter-thingies in our waterfall system and another filter in the skimmer basket. We were told to not clean the bio filters bc it washes off all the good bacteria?

I should also note that I sometimes add an inch or two of water from the hose to too the pond off on dry days. I've been told that's ok too?

Is there anything we can do to prevent the string algae from even occurring tho?

Reaction score
The Pond Industry is fraught with 'Snake Oil' salesmen.
There are very, very few pond treatments available that prevent a problem, they usually claim to treat the symptoms and do not always even do that very well.

If you have an overabundance of filamentous (string) algae it is because of a high Phosphorus level in the pond's water. Sources of Phosphorus are uneaten fish food, fish feces, organic matter (primarily leaves and pollen), etc.
Complete water changes will solve the problem but will create other issues that may be detrimental to the health of the fish and other pond inhabitants. The overall most effective and safest way to control Phosphorus is through the use of a binder such as PhosOut. This product binds the Phosphorus ions together. They then sink to the bottom of the pond where they will remain completely inert until removed.
Thanks for your reply! The algae isn't as bad as last year...yet...but it's so ugly and multiples so fast!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
First you need a good liquid test kit if you do not have one .That will tell you the true condition of your pond .City water should be treated .How many fish do you have and how deep is the pond and is it in full sun an what are your water temps .Not air temps but water .How much do you feed your fish and are there a lot of fish waste on the bottom .Did they clean all the good stuff off the bottom .I use koi clay ,you turn off your pumps and put in koi clay and it will stick to some of the algae and it will die off and clarify the water

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome,

You should run the waterfall 24/7, and if the filters are clogged you should clean them, but use pond water not tap water. The chemicals in tap water destroy the bacteria in the bio filters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh the dreaded string algae. I had it last year, and again this year. I'm at the point where I'm embracing it and stop fighting it. It's on the sides of the pond and completely covers the pumps. My water is clear, the lilies are growing, the fish are happy and healthy, pond life is good. Once the lily pads start covering the surface, the string algae won't be as noticeable. I run my bog and bio filter 24/7.

Ask a Question