Red alga or what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure whether it is an alga which has recently appeared on my well-established garden pond but I would like to deal with it. The pond, about 12" deep, has a fair amount of plant life of various sorts and there are half a dozen apparently healthy goldfish in it. This new arrival is rust-red, floats on the surface and consists of tiny specks of a red whatever! Thus far the fish appear untroubled by it but it still looks unsightly. Over the last six months or so I have been treating the pond with Clearwater to rid it of spirogyra algae and that seems to be well on the way to success.
Any ideas about this 'problem' please?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Beejay
Hmmmmmmmmm, never heard of the red water thing or Clearwater.
Is there a pump and filter in the pond as that might help. Can you skim that stuff out w/a fine net?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably could skim it, if it is worth it, but that doesn't sound like a permanent solution. No pump or filter here but even if there were, I doubt whether surface floating stuff would go. Good job the goldfish don't seem to mind it, only me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Can you post a picture?
Could it be one of those tiny floating plants?
Fairy moss or duck weed? One of them can have some red leaves, I forget which one.
If so, leave it, it's good and the fish like to eat it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Azolla is the reddish one and I love that one too! Think some might call it Fairy Moss too.
Here are Azolla and Duckweed together in another net ring I made using bigger holed netting.
IMG_5796.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pictures !!!! like jw showed red algae can be many things what she showed is her floating plants turning red from the colder temps

Ask a Question