Red blotch on goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3171.JPG
Hi there. I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area. I've had my raised pond which I built myself for about 1 year now and I transferred 3 shubumkins into it from my house tank. All was good and they loved their new surroundings. I bought 6 goldfish and placed them in and all was still good. I noticed that I started to get blanket weed taking over my small pond so I dosed it with clear water blanket weed treatment. A few days ago I noticed one of the little tidlers had a red sore on its body so immediately changed around 20% of the water and replaced it. I gave the pond a dose of tetra tap water treatment and medifin tetra and segregated my little sick fish. Have I done everything right or do I need to do anything else. Please help as I really like my pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks like a burn from the chemical .I hate those killers in a bottle that say they are miracle cure for pond algae .Algae is a way of protecting your fish from harmful stuff .Have you tested your water .How big is the pond and do you have a filter and are you over feeding the fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like an ulcer which is a bacterial infection. Are you able to get antibiotics (to treat in the water)?

I would treat this guy in a separate tank or container. But also keep an eye on the remaining fish. Maybe step up water changes to make sure water quality is good.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looks like a burn from the chemical .I hate those killers in a bottle that say they are miracle cure for pond algae .Algae is a way of protecting your fish from harmful stuff .Have you tested your water .How big is the pond and do you have a filter and are you over feeding the fish

Hi there. Yeah I have a pond filter with UV light. The pond is roughly 1.2mtrs wide x 1m long x 800mm deep. All was good until I put the algae stuff in. I've not tested the water as of yet but I feed the fish tetra pellets once in a morning and when I get back from work
Chris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like an ulcer which is a bacterial infection. Are you able to get antibiotics (to treat in the water)?

I would treat this guy in a separate tank or container. But also keep an eye on the remaining fish. Maybe step up water changes to make sure water quality is good.

Hi there
I've bought medifin to treat the pond and then put the little guy in a separate tub with a little bit of medifin in with him. Just unsure how long I keep him in there for

Im new to all this pond stuff but after building my own raised one I bloody love them now
Chris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes, poor water quality will not help.
You should perform some water tests using a drip test kit and stop feeding or adding any additional medications for now.
You should also buy some activated carbon that can be added to the filter to help rid the pond water of medications if the sick fish is now removed from the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your help. I've got some test strips at work to test the PH level.

Where would I buy the activated carbon from. ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thank you for your help. I've got some test strips at work to test the PH level.

Where would I buy the activated carbon from. ?

Test strips are not an accurate means of water testing, all they do is give an indication that leads a person towards further, more accurate testing. You should be testing for other values besides PH. Ammonia, KH, GH, Nitrite, Nitrate and water temperature are levels that you should be aware of in your pond.
Activated carbon can be purchased at your local pet store or pond store. Check if your filter has a chamber that will accept a mesh bag that contains activated carbon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Test strips are not an accurate means of water testing, all they do is give an indication that leads a person towards further, more accurate testing. You should be testing for other values besides PH. Ammonia, KH, GH, Nitrite, Nitrate and water temperature are levels that you should be aware of in your pond.
Activated carbon can be purchased at your local pet store or pond store. Check if your filter has a chamber that will accept a mesh bag that contains activated carbon.

Thank you. In the end of my pond pump there is an area where little white stones are so could I replace them with carbon ? I'm sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I just wish I'd never put that blanket weed killer in there because it's all started going pear shaped since then.

Chris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Chemicals are rarely a solution for pond problems.
Mother nature has many solutions that are fish friendly.
What is the model or brand of your pond pump that has the white stones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a pump from all pond solutions called a cup129

UV filter pump all in one. I got that because it was the cheapest but I'm saving to get a better one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's not a filter that will accommodate a bag of carbon, so what you can do is suspend a mesh bag that contains at least 500 grams of activated carbon in the pond water. That should last about 4 weeks.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's not a filter that will accommodate a bag of carbon, so what you can do is suspend a mesh bag that contains at least 500 grams of activated carbon in the pond water. That should last about 4 weeks.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!:)

Thank you
I'll get some tomorrow and see if that works

Chris

Ask a Question