Red "dust"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what's happening in these two pics? I have what looks like red dust or rust in my pond.

My pond s fairly new, two weeks or so, I've plants in it but no filter or pump.

The second picture looks like bird poo but it's not. It came away like dust when I put my hand in it. This is on a lot of the rocks in the pond.

Any help appreciated.

P1000649.JPG
P1000648.JPG

Reaction score
Probably a type of red algae. I've seen red algae like that form in buckets of rain water I collected.
If you have a PH test kit I'd be curious to know what the PH of your pond water is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have a pH kit. I could get one if you think it would help.

Assuming it is algae, is it something to worry about or will it sort itself out?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like diatomaceous algae. It's very common on new systems and will go away all by itself after a month or so.

Reaction score
Well, I've only seen that red algae grow in the pails of rain water, and generally rain water is somewhat acidic so I'm curious what the PH in your pond water is. However, even if it is low PH it shouldn't be a problem unless you have fish in that pond or your particular plants prefer a more alkaline environment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a type of red algae. I've seen red algae like that form in buckets of rain water I collected.
If you have a PH test kit I'd be curious to know what the PH of your pond water is.

I foprgot that I'd bought a ph kit last summer for the paddling pool. I've just whacked a strip in the pond and the results are:

Free chlorine - 0
PH - 6.2*
Total alkalinity - 40ppm

*6.2 was the lowest number on the chart, but the colour was slightly lighter, so it could be slightly less than 6.2

Reaction score
I foprgot that I'd bought a ph kit last summer for the paddling pool. I've just whacked a strip in the pond and the results are:

Free chlorine - 0
PH - 6.2*
Total alkalinity - 40ppm

*6.2 was the lowest number on the chart, but the colour was slightly lighter, so it could be slightly less than 6.2
So my guess about low PH was right.
Since you have no fish in that pond the low PH is not a big issue, but if you have plants that seem to be struggling and turning yellow it could be they might benefit from raising the PH to neutral. Also, I'd be curious to see if that red algae disappears when you raise the PH.
A little bit of baking soda will do it.

Ask a Question