Red Eared Slider babies

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I have a few questions for anyone who is a turtle expert. We are fairly new to having our red eared sliders - we have them in a koi pond with koi fish. We bought our first male slider from a pet store June 2021, we adopted a female a month or so later (she was from a tank so she had never been in a pond before…) and today while having the pond cleaned - we find another turtle! I’m sure it’s their baby - but I’ve read that turtles don’t typically lay eggs and have them hatch when it’s cold. Also, this new turtle is about 5 or 6 inches long already…. Isn’t that a little big for a brand new baby turtle? Sure would appreciate anyones thoughts on this - my husband thinks it just climbed into our pond from the outside world lol. We have 9 foot high concrete walls and there’s no way in or out for them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Hi everyone! I have a few questions for anyone who is a turtle expert. We are fairly new to having our red eared sliders - we have them in a koi pond with koi fish. We bought our first male slider from a pet store June 2021, we adopted a female a month or so later (she was from a tank so she had never been in a pond before…) and today while having the pond cleaned - we find another turtle! I’m sure it’s their baby - but I’ve read that turtles don’t typically lay eggs and have them hatch when it’s cold. Also, this new turtle is about 5 or 6 inches long already…. Isn’t that a little big for a brand new baby turtle? Sure would appreciate anyones thoughts on this - my husband thinks it just climbed into our pond from the outside world lol. We have 9 foot high concrete walls and there’s no way in or out for them.

Hi and welcome!
Your husband is right for sure, it climbed and came into your pond, prolly following "the smell" of the water. SO now you got 3 turtles!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1644435312722.gif
@TeamRoy
Love turtles. So @Dimelius they can climb concrete tall walls even at such a young age?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi and welcome!
Your husband is right for sure, it climbed and came into your pond, prolly following "the smell" of the water. SO now you got 3 turtles!
Hi Dimelius & thank you! I’m not sure where it would’ve come from though… I don’t live in the wild - there are houses around me. I am close to mountains but I don’t know that turtles live there…

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some pics of the 3 of them…I just think the last one on the right is their baby!

Attachments

• AA12C609-286A-4DAF-B8A4-BB27E8977293.jpeg
    AA12C609-286A-4DAF-B8A4-BB27E8977293.jpeg
    554.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 22C0AEC1-6FDE-4F90-AC59-C64AD2C0FBFF.jpeg
    22C0AEC1-6FDE-4F90-AC59-C64AD2C0FBFF.jpeg
    483.5 KB · Views: 23

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I doubt that the smallest turtle was that recently hatched. What kind of enclosure do you have around the pond and is it around the entire pond….with no gaps? Turtles are excellent escape artists: excellent diggers and climbers. Please include some pics of the enclosure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
View attachment 147445@TeamRoy
Love turtles. So @Dimelius they can climb concrete tall walls even at such a young age?
Yes sure, if they got enough grip they climb. nothing can stop nature.
Here are some pics of the 3 of them…I just think the last one on the right is their baby!
Isn't a baby...if 2nd is a male, the "baby" is almost same size of the male...isn't possible.
Prolly just made what nature call...find water and a spot where to live, can be a dumped animal too...maybe some1 saw your pond and throw the turtle in your yard...
For 100% isn't an hatch from your turtles. ;)
Now need check if are males or not, 2 males can fight together and make damage each others.

Like Mmathis said, pics are really welcome :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
can you make a closer pic of the upper shield of the last one(the new arrive)...what are that white spots?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
can you make a closer pic of the upper shield of the last ones...what are that white spots?
pretty sure that's just reflection/glare off their shells, Dime!

And I agree with your assessment; not a baby by a long shot (babies are like quarter size - (the coin) when first hatched. I doubt that a turtle could have climbed that wall but would not put it past digging it's way in. But my real thought is there's a hole somewhere in the perimeter; it doesn't take much; ask me how I know!

The other reason I think you have 3 now is SOMEONE had you adopt there's when you weren't looking. Lots of peeps outgrow their 'baby' turtle and want to re-home; your pond is like a heaven for that reason.

You might want to install some security cams, if really interested, because it might happen again!

Nice to have another turtle lover at GPF; we really HAVE TO start a turtle subchapter, I'm thinking...

:cool::p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
pretty sure that's just reflection/glare off their shells, Dime!
On the first 2 are reflection(left and middle), but last one got big white spots...looks like fungi...isn't a reflection.
BLu circles are reflections, red arrows nop.
22C0AEC1-6FDE-4F90-AC59-C64AD2C0FBFF.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe 2nd got something too..got lighter irregular areas..
On the first 2 are reflection(left and middle), but last one got big white spots...looks like fungi...isn't a reflection.
BLu circles are reflections, red arrows nop.View attachment 147452
if it is fungus, it should scrape off easily. Suggest wiping the shell down with some fish-fungal treatment? Never had turtles with issues, so far from an expert. Maybe @Jhn can chime in?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
I know that can be used "betadine" non alcolic" in a solution of 10%...dunno if is right translation.
There is the Vet way...but need an expert of turtles...

About betadine, i seek on net, and looks like the most common way to treatment...used by vets too

Ask a Question