Red fins

Reaction score
May 25th new pond filled 2 days before 166 inches of fish added to 1200 gallons lined pond. Fish were displaced from their home I gave away 32 inches of fish. Two weeks later I added small 300 gallon pond 18" deep. I filled it with Plants. Water Lettuce,water Lilly,water hyacinth, and parrot feather.
I have the large Sevio skimmer for ponds up to 5000 gallon. When I moved the fish I moved the skimmer keeping the filter media wet so the bacteria could relocated with the fish.The skimmer divides the water to send through a 30 gallon tube with filter media and lava rock then passing through the small bare root plant pond. Then flowing down 20inch falls into the main 1200 gallon pond. There is another water fall that has a 30 gallon tub filled with lava rock. I also have a turbo twist 36 inch UV.
I have added different good bacteria products Revititalize andmicrobe-lift gel inoculant once a week. I did not do water changes until this week
I have tested my water regularly over the last 5 week period. My 5 in one test strip has read consistently Nitrate 0 ; Nitrite 0 ; GH 75; alkalinity 120; PH 8.2. temperature ran 78 to 82 degrees.
Fish have been eating and active. Four days ago I noticed one 22 inch white butterfly guys tail and fins blood veins became very visible with in 2 days the end of fins and tails became ragged and bloody. NO FUNGUS Next day the other white butterfly showing same symptoms. I treated both with salt baths. I put them in large wadding pool and added Melafix..
Next day a 3rd fish is showing same symptoms, I gave a salt bath and returned to pond. I returned one of the white koi back to the pond. For the last 2 days I have have done 1/3 water changes. I hooked up a 2900 gph pump pulling water from the bottom shooting it up like a giazier . Hoping to cool water and add more oxygen.
I have added salt to the pond only about 5 ponds for 1500 gallons. Since my plants are valuabe to my ponds design, I do not want to add any more salt to the pond. My tests strip do not read ammonia. I also looked for an ammonia test today. I could not find one available in my area.

Attachments

• koifins.jpg
    koifins.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 3,424

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Re: new po

Welcome to the forum, Debra. Sounds to me like you're doing everything I would try in your situation, but there are folks on this site who know a lot more than I do, hopefully someone will pipe up soon. Good luck.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Welcome, wish I could help, but I don't have koi.

The smart koi folks will be on sometime today. Good luck with them.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score

Nitrite poisoning causes red fins ..but as you say yours is 0% i dont know of other causes ...but i would get a better test kit those test strips arnt very good

Reaction score
Let me run my RED FIN game plan scenarios by you experts. I now have 3 fish showing obvious signs. While 2 others are only beginning to have a small veins on their side fins. Tomorrow I plan on taking a water sample to pet store in Lewisburg to be tested by their Water Tester. If it shows high nitrites I plan to continue ¼ water changes twice a week. I did a daily one for past 4 days using the pond vac to clean the bottom to drain the water.

If my testers are correct and every thing is in the safe level I have two options. It is possible for me to redirect the water in my main pond and avoid the plant pond completely to preserve the plants..

Then I can add salt to the level .1 as needed to treat this condition in main pond ( I have already done a .3 salt dip with the 3 showing more advanced symptoms) . I can also treat with tetracycline as suggested by Dr Dave. Since I have decided then to treat all fish how do I administer it? Do I just pour powder into the water? Do you suggest I do both salt and tetracycline Also should I remove bio filter material and run it in the plant pound that has 3 Gold fishes as not to fry the bio filter. I could then return them to the main pond after the treatment is over.???

Are any or part of these plans recommended? or should I consider medicated food?

Attachments

• fin.jpg
    fin.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 3,345

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The tetracycline treatment info is on the bottle. 1 capsule for each 10 gallons with daily water changes. That is why I advised you to put them in a hospital tank. I use an 80 gallon aquarium as my primary hospital. you can use a new trash can with an airstone as a quick HT.

Reaction score
Requested update on my Koi
I finally was able to check my ammonia level It has been 0 every day for the last 3 days. I also checked the other levels with another water tester it turned out the same as when I had tested before. Nitrate 0 ; Nitrite 0 ; GH 75; alkalinity 120; PH 8.2. All my fish are still active & eating. Since 3 of my fish have red fins. I decided to try the Med-Koi antibiotic food to treat all the fish. I am able to deliver the food directly to each fish since they will eat from my hand. They sure do love this food. The fish are not any worse. One is slightly better. I was told to feed this food for 2 weeks. Today is the third day of treatment. The 2 fish that I noticed first are both all white fish. I wonder if maybe they are more sensitive like us pale skinned people?
I am trying to preserve my plants and bio filter. I did 30% water changes 4 days last week. My water is now going through an algae bloom I am hoping it is all the fresh water from those changes causing it. I have not added any more salt since I did the water changes, My plants have turned a little yellow. Hope I don't loose them. I took a few out putting them in bucket fresh water with fertilizer.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
debra- I have a solid white mother goldfish and her off spring were solid white.I've never seen any problem with them being anymore sensitive than a regular goldfish. imo

Reaction score
debra if you havent solved your problem and it is pretty urgent!!! your fish cauld have 3 things nitrate poisining, it could be too stressed out in its tank (it can die from that) or Septicemia.

~marino~

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. But my husband was jealous of the enjoyment that the pond brings me, My soon to be X poured bleach into the water. We have well water no clorine in it. I took in a water sample out of the pond to the city water works. Their test shows it did have clorine, I do have 4 left but they are mostly white. He knew I could never get thr funds to replace them,

DebraLynn

Ask a Question