Red Growth or Bump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I noticed a reddy/orange dot a few months ago now, but have recently noticed a while ago that it has grown bigger as shown in the photos. It is eating normally and there is no change in the way it behaves. Can anyone penalize advise what this might be?
Many Thanks for any advice
Kim
04D63138-0E07-4375-A2B3-C040DB5383A3.jpeg
A5AE2294-BB42-4201-A3F5-5515FCF5309B.jpeg
AB940604-4219-4CDE-B212-17EF1975D480.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Just curious....is this a pond or a tank?

It doesn’t exactly look like carp pox, but it could be. It looks like an injury that maybe has gotten infected. Could there be an anchor worm or something hanging off the fish? I don’t know the life cycle of anchor worms off the top of my head, though, but they will start a small irritation that can grow into an ulcer. If you have a microscope, maybe you can do a scraping and look at it more closely — or a magnifying glass to inspect the “spot.” Or, maybe you have a fish-vet clinic nearby that could take a look.

If it’s carp pox, there is no cure, but it isn’t fatal. If it’s an infection, it’s best to find out WHAT it is before you treat the fish.

Your fish are lovely, BTW!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

It doesn’t exactly look like carp pox, but it could be. It looks like an injury that maybe has gotten infected. Could there be an anchor worm or something hanging off the fish? I don’t know the life cycle of anchor worms off the top of my head, though, but they will start a small irritation that can grow into an ulcer. If you have a microscope, maybe you can do a scraping and look at it more closely — or a magnifying glass to inspect the “spot.” Or, maybe you have a fish-vet clinic nearby that could take a look.

If it’s carp pox, there is no cure, but it isn’t fatal. If it’s an infection, it’s best to find out WHAT it is before you treat the fish.

Thank you so much for your reply!
I will have a look to see if there is a fish very n

It’s a tank, that were in a pond but we had to bring them in as we had an issue with the neighbours!
Thank you for your reply!
There is nothing hanging off it too. I already called the vets around here and they don’t treat the fish! So I am going to try the fish shop to see if they have any ideas as they seem knowledgeable about treatment! Hope it heals up soon! Thanks so much again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm sorry you're having an issue with your fish, but I wanted to say GREAT PHOTOS! So often we get people asking about something troubling about a fish and the picture they post you can barely tell it IS a fish, let alone know what might be wrong!

Hope you find a solution! (and for your neighbors, too - yikes!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry you're having an issue with your fish, but I wanted to say GREAT PHOTOS! So often we get people asking about something troubling about a fish and the picture they post you can barely tell it IS a fish, let alone know what might be wrong!

Thank you for the compliment on the photos! We went to the local pet shop and they advised on some internal bacterial medicine (attached)
for open wounds, and now it has gone right down, but it little while to fully heal. On the mend I hope!
Thanks again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 36

Ask a Question