red tinted water

Reaction score
Two ponds and one gets red tint to it. Drained it and it is back. It did rain but only one is tinted red again and they are side by side. Trees around them but keep leaves out of water and are newly set up. Had them for years never had this trouble they sat dirty for long time and I cleaned them out and started fresh. Why is just one doing it and what is it

Reaction score
Is it possible to take a picture and post it here, of the ponds and surrounding area? I would first wonder if it was from leaves, berries, etc falling from trees but it seems you have rules that out. Are there fish in the ponds? Do they have pumps and filters on them? When did you last clean them out? Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Is it possible to take a picture and post it here, of the ponds and surrounding area? I would first wonder if it was from leaves, berries, etc falling from trees but it seems you have rules that out. Are there fish in the ponds? Do they have pumps and filters on them? When did you last clean them out? Thanks and welcome to the forum.
No fish, happened and drained it, happened again, has clay settled in bottom though, clear, clean except for clay, has bacteria boost in it,no filter system never needed before, liner is old set dirty for several years just cleaned it and setup, other pond didnt do it but does have new liner, pic shows clay on bottom and sorry about leaves reflecting on water

Attachments

• 20140811_092235.jpg
    20140811_092235.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 319

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity -- you said no fish. Can you give us a description of each pond? Maybe there are characteristics of one pond that would cause it to differ from the other one. What's in each pond, location, sunlight, clay, rocks, plants, fish, size, filtration, etc........

POND A: no problems with red color ...........

POND B: problems with red color ...........

And since the 2 ponds are side-by-side, can you take a picture that includes both of them? Can't really tell anything from your other pic.

Reaction score
Help other pond fish have anchor worm how do you kill them and clear pond of them
Just out of curiosity -- you said no fish. Can you give us a description of each pond? Maybe there are characteristics of one pond that would cause it to differ from the other one. What's in each pond, location, sunlight, clay, rocks, plants, fish, size, filtration, etc........

POND A: no problems with red color ...........

POND B: problems with red color ...........

And since the 2 ponds are side-by-side, can you take a picture that includes both of them? Can't really tell anything from your other pic.

Changed water today, shaded most of day small gets more morning shade and most shade but had them for years and never happened before , clear and totally clean now but just saw an area about six inches round that is red on the liner took power sprayer on hose and spayed it and did not come off black liner is about 10 years old. Have no clue guess will see if it does again. The upper small pond has new liner and fish problem pond no fish

Attachments

• 20140811_160108.jpg
    20140811_160108.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Anchor worms can be treated with Potassium Permanganate(PP) dip at 100mg/ 2.5 gallons of water. Dip fish for 25 minutes, With Dimilin (If you can find it), Dimilin is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 1,000 gallons, Anchor away if you can treat in a smaller tank or tub, Follow instructions and is probably the easiest treatment to find. It is best to remove all the ones you can see with tweezers prior to starting treatments.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Does only one pond have clay in it or both? If only one, clay can stain things if it has iron in it. Water w/ iron can stain also and turn water reddish. Just grasping here trying to think.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does only one pond have clay in it or both? If only one, clay can stain things if it has iron in it. Water w/ iron can stain also and turn water reddish. Just grasping here trying to think.
That's what I was wondering -- have asked for a comparison of the 2 ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The other way of thinking is that this could be a dangeros form of red algae be sure to wear protective gear when working with it but our first thoughts would be the same as l.w. and Maggie that this red tinge comes from iron oxide perhaps it would be an idea to get a sample of water tested by your local water authority .
@Dave 54 @fishin4cars Help with anchor worms requested -- see previous post...

As for your anchor worm problem your going to have a bit of an uphil struggle with these and may I suggest if you recently bought new fish it came in wiith them .
Its latin name is for future reference "Lernea", I take it they must have reached the adult stage of their life cycle because when in a younger form Anchor worm infestation can be mistaken for other other parasite infestaions such as whitespot as they appear as white dots on the body of your koi/goldfish "dont know which as you dont specifically say which", but mistakes can be made all the same.
Do you know how to take scrapes and do have a microscope to hand for future use, if not it may be an idea on learning how to do so as ourselves and others do on this site :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/microscopes-and-scrapes.11108/

A fish that has anchorworm will swim somewhat erratically even rubbing and flicking to try and re;ieve its irritation and dislodge the anchor worm parasite so you would have notied lots of that going on .
A word of warning here as these infestations can reach dangerusly high levels which if left untreated will threaten the lives of your fish (I remember seeing a photo of a goldfish that had over a hundered anchorworm attached to its sides head gills underside .
To treat anchorworm you must first physically by hand remove them from your fish,you can get a product callled oil of cloves from your local health food store and use this to anethatize your fish so that you can handle them:-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/anethatizing-you-koi-goldfish-the-various-stages-of.10493/

Why because your going to need to, as the problem your going to have is that the "wound site's" where the anchorworm was attached before you removed them can and must probably will become infected with a bacterial infection.So we recomend when you remove them to dab the resulting wound with Machite Green then to finish spray it with another product that can be bought from the same store as your oil of cloves called Propolis.
Propolis is a bye product of bees and is what bees use in their hives to disinfect the hive , and is something we have been using on our own koi for 22 or more years now.
Now we have to turn our attention to the free swimming stages of the Lernaea parasite and rid the pond of them.
To do this your going to have to treat the pond on a number of occasions because they will also have laid eggs , so you could say you have to kill junior and the babies as they are the future of the parasite .
To do this you will need to buy dimlin powder (which is banned in the UK) and treat as recomended.
We hope this helps you with your problem ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for advice. As for the anchor worm can see the adult on fish Was told to use microbe lift for anchor worm by fish store, company was called said it will cause them not to drop off hense they will die and not spread eggs, hope it works have to treat once week drain some water treat 3 times , we have also been tweezering them off but told didnt need to. Made mistake of buying small fish from petsmart they are infected, so far they seem ok just have the sores, have isolated sick ones

Only one pond has red water and clay in bottom, have city water and had pond for 10 years just cleaned and started it up fresh. Second pound has new liner and red water one has old liner. Thought might be rain we had but not in both. I drained it again and got all clay out , will see if it comes back

Reaction score
Also there is a red algae I believe.
Freshly set up, only one pond with it , have seen iron in drinking water was always an orange tint to water this is red and if I dip some out in cup the water is pink just lighter due to small amount, it is clear too not cloudy at all
I drained it again and vaccumed all the clay dirt from the bottom so it is totally clean now will see
No fis in it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now that I have been thinking about this I have remembered that my white plastic birdbath turns reddish pink on the bottom after a short while. I use water from my well which has a lot of iron in it to fill it but it also gets rain water in it. It has a slimy feel to it so wonder if it is the red algae and it comes on very quickly and maybe iron or other minerals feeds it.

I just read this on the net:
Algae spores transfer to your birdbath from objects that fall out of nearby trees and will grow at a faster rate when exposed to direct sunlight.

Ask a Question